Time for comfort

CanMan

After many years, it was time to modify my wife’s Cannondale F500 to more of a comfort rider. The low slung handlebars and grip shifts had to go. I also replaced the cantilever brakes with more effective V-Brakes.

New parts:
Alloy riser handlebars
660mm x 100 rise x 25.4mm clamp
Manufacturer: Dimension
Manufacturer P/N: NPD105170 100MM BLK

Shift/brake lever combo:
Shimano ST-EF500-7R2A (7 speed rear)
Shimano ST-EF500-L2A (3 speed front)

V-brakes
Manufacturer: Tektro
Manufacturer P/N: M530

Grips
Manufacturer: Ergon
Manufacturer P/N: GP1
Small or large depending on your hand size.

Notes:
The brake posts on the Cannondale are shorter than normal. Replacing with longer posts was not an option due to the atypical 5/16-18 threads. The M530 brakes are made for the shorter posts.

The tension pins on the Tektro brakes had a step that prevented full insertion into the mating frame holes. I drilled the holes out to 0.109” (7/64”) for a better fit.

The brakes come with two noodle angles. I used 90 degrees on the front and 135 degrees on the rear. I opened up the angle a bit on the rear to make for better cable routing.

Attachments

• F500_full.JPG
    F500_full.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 258
  • F500_handlebars.JPG
    F500_handlebars.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 280
  • F500_grip.JPG
    F500_grip.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 250
  • F500_front.JPG
    F500_front.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 263
  • F500_rear.JPG
    F500_rear.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 272

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Nice job. Another bike that I can't be sure of the year. Appears to be a 1998 frame as that's the only CAAD2 that the catalogs show with a frame mounted rear canti stop. The 1997 frames had the cable stop dangling from the seat clamp. Galaxy red was a common 1997 color. I'm guessing your frame is a late 1997 and the cable stop was a running change that doesn't appear in the catalog. What were the original brakes? Catalog says DiaCompe VC-2 but I've never seen them.

CanMan

Good call on the year. We couldn't find any receipts but we do have some pictures dating back to 1998.

The original cantilever brakes were DiaCompe VC-2 as you predicted. I've attached a picture.

Attachments

• F500_front_original.jpg
    F500_front_original.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 187

CanMan

The original cantilever brakes never did work very well and as time wore on they required too much grip force for my wife. Replacing pads and adjusting didn't help and I decided that it was more of a geometry issue inherent with the cantilevers. The V-brakes do seem to be more efficient. The shifter/brake combos took care of the v-brake pull ratio with the added benefit of switching from grip to trigger shifts. Again for ease of use.