Tandem Serial confusion

gmcnair88

Hi, I just picked up this tandem which appears to have only been ridden around the parking lot. The seller didn't really know anything about it.

Bikepedia shows it as a 2004 Mountain Tandem, based only on colors.
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=30872

The 2004 catalogue seems to confirm it.

Serial number is N239947. This site says that should be a 2002

Other numbers on the BB are 4RMT0I LM 951376PD05309

Trying to figure out what any of those mean so I can understand a little more about this bike.

gmcnair88

PXL_20220201_192800831.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It looks great. That's surely a 2004 Mountain Tandem. I can't explain why it has an N year sticker unless we have the years off in our data. A 2004 model year bike could have been built in 2003, but I wouldn't think one would have been built in 2002. Looks to be pretty original from what I can see of the components. I'm pretty sure that LM designates a Large/Medium frame. We don't have any information on the rest of the numbers. You might check the geometry chart in the back of the catalog and see if its measurements correspond to the chart. Wheelbase and standover will be the easiest things to measure.

JohnnyD

Maybe because of the low volume sales and production of mountain tandem frames that Cannondale had a stock pile of them ready in 2002... who knows. Either way though it is a super nice looking bike!

gmcnair88

Thanks for your help! I'm not sure why I didn't think to check measurements. It was sold to me as a medium/small and the standover numbers are close to that. But I forgot to account for the smaller tires that it currently has, 26x1.3 semislicks. So the captain standover of 29.25 now probably will match the measurements of the 30.3in with the correct 26x2.35 tires. Barefooted I have a solid 2in of room over the top bar so I'm still good. Wheelbase seems to come in just under 72in so that would also match the 71.7in from the catalogue.

My thoughts on the serial are that it might have just been incorrectly given that sticker. Even if the frame was left over from 2002, wouldn't they put a 2004 sticker on it when it was actually painted and assembled? It being a leftover would make more sens to me if the serial was engraved in the BB like the other numbers.

I'm going to reach out to Tandems East as they are most likely the shop that sold this bike in the first place. Plus they seem like an amazing tandem shop and will probably fan the flames of excitement.

Oh, I also paid $900 for the bike. At first it felt like it was a lot, but I'm feeling more and more like I stole it from the guy.

JohnnyD

Thanks for your help! I'm not sure why I didn't think to check measurements. It was sold to me as a medium/small and the standover numbers are close to that. But I forgot to account for the smaller tires that it currently has, 26x1.3 semislicks. So the captain standover of 29.25 now probably will match the measurements of the 30.3in with the correct 26x2.35 tires. Barefooted I have a solid 2in of room over the top bar so I'm still good. Wheelbase seems to come in just under 72in so that would also match the 71.7in from the catalogue.

My thoughts on the serial are that it might have just been incorrectly given that sticker. Even if the frame was left over from 2002, wouldn't they put a 2004 sticker on it when it was actually painted and assembled? It being a leftover would make more sens to me if the serial was engraved in the BB like the other numbers.

I'm going to reach out to Tandems East as they are most likely the shop that sold this bike in the first place. Plus they seem like an amazing tandem shop and will probably fan the flames of excitement.

Oh, I also paid $900 for the bike. At first it felt like it was a lot, but I'm feeling more and more like I stole it from the guy.

I hope they can help shed some light on the mystery. Please let us know. I can only speak for myself but your question sure has me curious. $900 is an AMAZING deal. So to honor the previous owner, Enjoy the bike!!!! I know I loved seeing it and would love to pick up one.