ST-300 or ST-500

hAROLD

I recently scored what I believe to be a '83 Cannondale. Serial number is AA00*40. First of all, am I correct in thinking that it is an '83? Second, the '83 catalog elsewhere on the vintage C'dale site does not show components for the ST-300, but does for the ST-500. Mine appears to have the components of a '500, but is there anyway to tell from the serial number? Lastly, anyone know how to figure -- assuming that it is an '83 -- how many '83's were made?

PS I bought a new SR-300 in '83 and a new Black Lightning in '86. Still have the '86.
my '83b.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The ST-300 was a frameset only, so that's why no components are listed. ST-500 had a Superbe Tech rear derailleur. Doesn't appear your bike has one. Your front hub is large flange, the ST-500 came with small flange SunTour hubs. I don't think that's a Super Apex crank on your bike. I'd call yours either a modified ST-500 or an ST-300, really your choice. I'd guess with serial number 40 it's surely a 1983 model. No way as far as I know to figure out how many were made.

hAROLD

Wow, a treasure trove of information. I think the best bet is mine was/is an ST-300 perhaps built by a shop. I'm fairly sure that the components on the bike -- with the exception of the front wheel -- were those on it for the ensuing 34 or so years. The front wheel was obviously replaced at some time with a chromed steel wheel. Oddly enough, it sports Campy shift levers. The freewheel sports only five cogs. BTW, my serial is not 40, I just substituted an * for one of the digits. So it's a good bit higher than 40, but less than 1000.

I already have a couple of vintage c'dales, my '86 BL, and an '83 "crest", so I wasn't exactly on the hunt for another. But when I saw a poor ole Cannondale with its bars flipped up to - - - well, flipped up, and a price of $40 I could not resist rescuing it at once. Didn't suspect that it was a fairly early offering from C'dale 'till I got it home.

I'm just gonna deep clean it, replace the front wheel to one that matches the back and ride it occasionally. I'd like to present it (to myself) as a survivor, tho a very deep gouge in the finish on the top tube ain't pretty. Its 56cm (or so) frame is a bit small for me, but the days when I was a badass needing a perfectly fitting bike are a few decades behind me!

Lastly, it has 27" wheels and tires. None of my fine stock of semi-retired 700c tires will be of any use whatever. Got a couple of tires on the way!

Thanks for your thoughtful and on-point answer to my inquiry.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
If it's up near 1,000 it could be a 1984. Not a lot of difference between the two years, even the colors were the same.

Cannondale kept 27" wheels on the touring bikes for quite a while, even though the racing frames were 700c. Pretty sure 1991 was the first year for 700c on the touring bikes. Wish I could find some $40 Cannondales.

hAROLD

LOL, well, a forty dollar Cannondale is a bit like a "free" horse. I paid almost as much for new tires as I did for the bike, and it hasn't stopped there! The bike is on the tipping point of survivor on the one hand, and complete restoration on the other.

hAROLD

Rode my "$40 Cannondale" for the first time yesterday! Still waiting for the correct front wheel which I found on ebay in a nearby town. I'm still torn between dressing it out as a survivor or taking it back apart and painting the frame and fork. It is a maze of scratches and gouges, none into the aluminum, but still pretty bad.

How did you come to know so much about Cannondales? The folks who sell 'em today are absolutely clueless about any of the bikes they call vintage.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I know what you mean, but you're ahead of the game buying a complete bike for $40 compared to most of my purchases. They tend to be frames or frames and forks that cost multiples of $40.

Been messing with Cannondales since buying my first new one in 1990. Have owned quite a few older than that in recent years. I only have owned 1 not USA made, probably won't be buying any more unless one turns up really cheap.