Sram Dualdrive

IdahoBrett

Does anyone know about the Dualdrive? I read enough to understand the concept and didn’t find anything here via search.

I recently saw an ad for a Adventure bike so equipped. I see it in use on bike builder forums and such. But I haven’t yet come across anything negative.

How is the reliability and strength of components? Is servicing difficult? What are drawbacks and advantages?

Thanks

rickpaulos

Cassette stuck on a 3 speed internally geared hub. Generally works okay. I have one on a Cannondale that is grinding in 2 of 3 hub gears so it probably has a broken tooth in a planet gear and the busted off bit is stuck in the gears. But that's the only 1 I've ever seen with trouble. I've had hundreds of Sturmey Archer hubs apart, mostly for cleaning due to improper lube or abuse. And I've taken a few Shimano hubs apart mostly out of curiosity. But never had a SRAM hub apart. Just not that many around compared to SA & Shimano.

All the problems of an internally geared hub and all the problems of a derailleur system and both of the costs and weights. Add a triple crank and you have 3x3x8 (or 3x3x7) gear ratios. 72 or 63 gears! I think they got to 9 gears so 3x3x9 = 81 gears. I'm sure there would be some gear ratios so close you couldn't tell the difference. Shifting the igh can be much quicker than shifting chains from one cog/sprocket to another. Potential for a low gear lower than any other bike, high gear higher, etc. Depending on cog & ring sizes. More useful on a recumbent tadpole trike with a spare 100 pounds of load going up hill at 2 mph. Extra low gears allow for higher rpm to spare the knees.

Probably the biggest draw back is getting one of those low quality plastic SRAM derailleurs with it. The plastic derailleurs warp over time and SRAM rivets jockey wheels on so there is no servicing them. As they get dirty, they wear out and built up so much friction they barely function. IMO Shimano rapid fire shifters are vastly superior to any twist grip shifter and the mid to high end Shimano derailleurs are much better.

I have a Brompton with a 3x2 drive. 3 speed hub with 2 cogs and Brompton's own derailleur. Either shifts pretty quick in urban use.

The dual drive idea goes way back, like 70 years ago. There were kits for "English racer" 3 speed bikes that added 2 or 3 cogs to a 3 speed hub and had a simple derailleur. Cyclo & Benelux were two companys that sold them in the mid 20th century. They did not shift well.

One benefit of a igh is it's protected from bad weather. Well the derailleur and cogs aren't so that benefit is negated.

All modern igh hubs have input force limit specs. Some times listed in sprocket/cog ratios. Pedal way to hard and you can break the small gears in the hubs. There is the possibility of gear slipping if they aren't adjusted just right. I wound up in an emergency room because of one slipping on me. IMO, IGH hubs will bite back if you abuse them.

IdahoBrett

Excellent synopsis @rickpaulos ! Thank you!

I found a campground cruiser that is a good size for my wife. Priced a little high for me, but in great condition. I hadn’t even heard of this gear system until I saw the for sale ad. I needed the education. Thanks again.

What would a thread be without pictures of the bike in discussion…..

IMG_0531.jpeg
IMG_0530.jpeg
IMG_0529.jpeg
IMG_0528.jpeg

IdahoBrett

Regardless of the complexity of the drive train, what an interesting find. Good looking bike on top of that.
Good thing it’s a 5 hour drive away. Although I’ve come up with the crazy notion of making that drive this weekend. With wife, kids and dog for a out and back in the same day. Got my eye on a 2004 R500 CAAD4, Tiagra equipped, like new, 60cm frame, for me. So I thought I’d make the trip a little more worth it by including a bike for the Mrs. She just rolls her eyes at that particular idea.

JohnnyD

Good thing it’s a 5 hour drive away. Although I’ve come up with the crazy notion of making that drive this weekend. With wife, kids and dog for a out and back in the same day. Got my eye on a 2004 R500 CAAD4, Tiagra equipped, like new, 60cm frame, for me. So I thought I’d make the trip a little more worth it by including a bike for the Mrs. She just rolls her eyes at that particular idea.
I bet she did.

IdahoBrett

I bet she did.
I've tried to tempt her several times by giddily showing her photos of my new find on a classified ad. She just shrugs her shoulders and lets me know she's ok with the $40 craigslist Huffy I bought her earlier this summer. Some people just have no taste....;)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Next step is to find something in the same area that she and/or the kids are interested in visiting. I love random road trips even when they don't have a specific destination but I guess for others driving around is pure boredom. I can recall driving around small towns in northeast Iowa 35 years ago, just looking at downtown businesses and especially churches.