Some discussion about favorite CAAD road frames from another forum

kjop

so as we are here to discuss those topics here too... ^^

to me the CAAD9 is the last one i would buy from the CAAD-series. coz it's the last one made in the US. and as someone said at the other forum, after that something changed at the frames. it lost it's soul. i can feel that thought.

i like how they made the top tube and flattening the seat stay on this CAAD9-frame. i prefer the white one with red decals. would probably rebuild one of them similar to another dude did it a while ago. i like it a lot. but haven't find one yet in 52 in decent condition for a good price.

my first cannondale was a CAAD3 from 2002. i like this model too, coz it has already switched to – i don't know how to call the shifters at the down tube, maybe one can help me out...? the 2002 frames doesn't have them at the down tube anymore. that is nice. and as i mentioned in other threads already, i'm in love with the black coating with yellow decals, like @IdahoBrett got one. great color combination. i was looking for a CAAD3 R600 or R800, coz of the slice fork. but these model still have the shifters at the down tube. so i prefer a R400 2002. as on the CAAD9, waiting for a good CAAD3-offer in 52^^

and i do like the CAAD5 frames. coz it's the first one with integrated headset. doesn't matter which model. there are quiet a lot different nice color combinations out there. i like my R500 in it's mate blue, which shows up in pretty dark blue, when the light is right. the 9/11-edition is nice... saw one R600? in a shining orangeyellow coating with black decals. or there are some CAAD5 SAECO-frames with it's glossy red with metal flakes in it... nice!

after CAAD6 the concept of the 'power pyramid' at the down tube disapeared... so these frames are not interesting to me – except the CAAD9.

so do you have any favorites and why? :)

Last edited:

IdahoBrett

My favorites are CAAD3 and CAAD4. For the simple reason that they are what I own currently. They are the first Cannondale road bikes I have ever owned. I bought them during the same crazy road trip I took with my family. So there will always be a sentimental reason. As I become more familiar with the nuances of them I may end up liking one over the other. I don’t know much about road bikes in general. But they feel good when I ride them.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
My first new Cannondale road bike was a CAAD4 R4000 which was top of the line at the time. It was the frame that Cipollini won all those tour stages on circa 1999. I still don't have one in Saeco paint.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
so as we are here to discuss those topics here too... ^^

to me the CAAD9 is the last one i would buy from the CAAD-series. coz it's the last one made in the US. and as someone said at the other forum, after that something changed at the frames. it lost it's soul. i can feel that thought.

i like how they made the top tube and flattening the seat stay on this CAAD9-frame. i prefer the white one with red decals. would probably rebuild one of them similar to another dude did it a while ago. i like it a lot. but haven't find one yet in 52 in decent condition for a good price.

my first cannondale was a CAAD3 from 2002. i like this model too, coz it has already switched to – i don't know how to call the shifters at the down tube, maybe one can help me out...? the 2002 frames doesn't have them at the down tube anymore. that is nice. and as i mentioned in other threads already, i'm in love with the black coating with yellow decals, like @IdahoBrett got one. great color combination. i was looking for a CAAD3 R600 or R800, coz of the slice fork. but these model still have the shifters at the down tube. so i prefer a R400 2002. as on the CAAD9, waiting for a good CAAD3-offer in 52^^

and i do like the CAAD5 frames. coz it's the first one with integrated headset. doesn't matter which model. there are quiet a lot different nice color combinations out there. i like my R500 in it's mate blue, which shows up in pretty dark blue, when the light is right. the 9/11-edition is nice... saw one R600? in a shining orangeyellow coating with black decals. or there are some CAAD5 SAECO-frames with it's glossy red with metal flakes in it... nice!

after CAAD6 the concept of the 'power pyramid' at the down tube disapeared... so these frames are not interesting to me – except the CAAD9.

I have only one frame from the post USA era but I like it a lot. There are a lot of folks that really like their Asian made Cannondales.

I think I've posted a picture of my CAAD9 road bike in white with red decals here somewhere but will look again.

I don't remember what year Cannondale switched from down tube shifter bosses to head tube mounted cable stops which lacked adjusters. I didn't mind the lack of down tube shifter bosses so much but it would have been nicer to have cable adjusters at the head tube rather than having to rely on the inline sort.

I would have to examine and measure a frame from the Power Pyramid era and see how the tube shapes and dimensions compare.

kjop

There are a lot of folks that really like their Asian made Cannondales.
no doubt, if you read the thread at the other forum :) but i don't feel that for the CAAD-series... after CAAD9 it's getting more and more kinda ?awkward? with the aluminum frames. and it's sad that they don't continued these nice weldings, which – also beside some other factors – made the cannondales so popular.

but the newer asian carbon bikes are nice too... i like the whole style (cannondale,poc,rapha,prologo,vision) a lot that the EF-team (also the girls team) is riding this year through the wolrd tour. everything fit's nicely together^^

the SUPERSIX LAB71... so clean... no cables...
325954866_875131953694019_5259761594383912901_n.jpg

... and i think the older SYSTEMSIX (2016?) is still in the line with the CAAD-series from before the company changed :)
V7fOWzF-XvztSOlXaLo9fOkPLqGAnpSpICTf_eenKSc.jpg

kjop

but just one question... :) do you guys think the carbon frames from nowadays like the black SUPERSIX from the picture will get the same popularity as the old caad's in 20 to 30 years? will they make it till then? or aren't the carbon frames so durable?

IdahoBrett

I’m sure there will be folks that will want 20 year old carbon bike in the future. It will be for nostalgia of days gone by. Or it’s a bike they couldn’t afford when they were new or getting the same bike they sold long ago.

As far as durability in the future. If the bikes were cared for properly they’ll be fine. I work on 20+ year old aircraft with carbon fiber flight control panels. They still work. Special care must be taken of course, ie. proper hardware and torque, inspecting for delamination, etc. Now a bike frame of course lives an entirely different lifestyle. Impact damage could be a concern that would be hard to see if minor and may manifest itself into something major. For myself I’m not interested in a carbon frame (at this time). Forks. Sure. I can “feel” the difference.

cheers

black lightning 1987

Staff member
but just one question... :) do you guys think the carbon frames from nowadays like the black SUPERSIX from the picture will get the same popularity as the old caad's in 20 to 30 years? will they make it till then? or aren't the carbon frames so durable?
I think there will be people still interested in them for a long time for the usual reasons people like old bicycles: I wanted that bike when I couldn't afford it; It's what a race team that I liked rode; It's a good value compared to buying something comparable new.

No idea how well they will hold up over time. I have two carbon frames that are decades old, a 1992 Trek 5500 and a Moser Carbon FSB from about the same time. Both look like new but they don't get ridden very often.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Like this one @black lightning 1987 ? It's a 97/98 I think. But the Saeco letters are white. And the fork is painted. Looks like a riders name near the seat post. It's a 54cm.
View attachment 10837
Yes. The very early Saeco replicas were top of the line, but later you could get Saeco livery on a mid line road bike. I don't remember the history but the team rode with Shimano and Campagnolo in different years.

IdahoBrett

Yes. The very early Saeco replicas were top of the line, but later you could get Saeco livery on a mid line road bike. I don't remember the history but the team rode with Shimano and Campagnolo in different years.
I ended up receiving several nice photos. It’s sized correctly for my wife. But sadly she’s not as passionate about bikes as I am. She said “It doesn’t wow her.” More bikes for me then. ;) I invited the seller to join us on this site…