Silk path 400 (2000?) new life.

JAWA

Hello everyone! My hobby is a giving a new life to decent bikes that now in a rough shape. I mostly work on Trek's, they are pretty common in my area. Recently I found this Cannondale, ended up getting it for free.
1.jpg
I've been VERY impressed frame build quality, great design of derailleur hook, kickstand mount, welding finishing. Long story short, I replaced headset bearings, fork boot, delete all the rust from removable parts, new chain, tires and tubes and so on. As the bike is happen to be my size, I gave it a 25 mile test ride.
photo1675717372 (1).jpeg

Question: frame cable routing for derailleurs is mounted the same side (left-right) as shifters, usually they aren't. I cut new housings the same length as the old ones. And now they rubs into the fork boot while riding. Which obviously will caused rubber to fail. I use zip-tie as s temporary solution. What is the correct way to fix that? Thanks!

photo1675717372.jpeg

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Glad to see you find and save another Cannondale. It looks amazing.
What I have done to solve the issue of the cable housing rubbing on the fork boot has been to have the cables routed across in front of the headtube and into the cable guide on the opposite side. I then recross the cable on the underside of the down tube to get the back into the proper orientation for the cable guide on the bottom bracket.20230206_172226.jpg20230206_172305.jpg20230206_172240.jpg

I think this give a much nicer looking appearance than doing it the way Cannondale did it like you did. As you can see from the pictures my cables do not rub the boot at all, even when the turning the bike. I also don't have any issues with the bare cables rubbing on each other causing shifting or braking issues. I've even done this cable routing on my '92 M700 because it makes it look much nicer even though it's not needed.

Apologies for the dirty bike, but unlike some in the MTB world.. I ride in the rain! Slick trails just make the ride much more fun!