sale prices overall

kjop

hello,

last winter i bought a caad5 r500 from 2004 and since then i'm on research about pricing when it was released. can't find any good infos so far.

it was originaly set up with shimano tiagra rd/fd and shift levers. fsa tripple crank, seat post, stem. coda brakes. gipiemme t30s wheelset. a list with more details can be found in the 2005-catalog.

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/2005/2005.pdf#page=59&zoom=auto,-64,757

it was sold in germany, but no sales prices to find at all :)

what was the start price in europe back in 2004/2005 when it was sold? the preowner couldn't gave me any infos, coz she had bought it 2nd hand.

greetings

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Bicycle Blue book says that it retailed for $950 in the USA. That sounds about right to me. Search for monetary conversion for 2004 and you should be able to get a reasonably close idea of what it sold for new. Don't pay any attention to BBB's used bike values. They buy bikes and resell them, so their published values are way below what bikes actually sell for.

Bicycling magazine used to publish a yearly buyer's guide issue that had retail prices for hundreds of current bikes, but the most recent one I have is from 1995.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/30935/

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't have any knowledge about how pricing compared between USA and European markets. It could be that Cannondale had different pricing for several different markets.

It wasn't unusual for Cannondale to change parts spec during a model run. Changes may have been made due to limited supply of the original part, or perhaps because they were able to source something comparable for less cost after the catalogs were printed. It seems to me that I have a pair of the Gipiemme wheels here somewhere.

MEENI

Price difference also had a lot to do with the diffrent curency,s and tax regulations pre euro. Bikes were up to 20% cheaper in Germany compared to Netherlands for example.

kjop

Just found an invoice of a R5000 on eBay. It was sold in germany back in 2003 with dura ace components for 5500€.

Pretty much, hmm? What was the price of a dura ace-groupset with 2x10 in that time? 2003 then it was probably 7800-groupset.

The R5000 from that time is a CAAD 7 Optimo, right?

Screenshot_20220709_060455.jpgScreenshot_20220709_060532.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Yes, would have been a CAAD7. Sounds like quite a lot of money for even a top of the line road bike at that time. I don't have the energy to dig through old catalogs tonight, but I have them that will tell what a Dura Ace group retailed for, alone and with various wheel options. Bump this thread if I don't get back to it.

kjop

... , but I have them that will tell what a Dura Ace group retailed for, alone and with various wheel options.
thanks! would be awesome. maybe some interesting informations for others too :)

another guy who is selling this CAAD5 R500 on eBay told me, he has bought this one new for 1300€ back in 2005. it has a 2x9 tiagra-group.

Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-07-10 13-52-22.png

it's just that what i was looking for. i got this one in 54cm in nearly same condition with 3x9 tiagra-group.
20210802_200916.jpg

and rebuilt it with newer, more blackish parts...
IMG_20210814_224421.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
7700 was still the current group in 2003. ExcelSports sold a group with hubs, cassette, chain, and Ritchey headset for $989. The highest priced frameset in the catalog was a Look KG486 for $2695. It could be purchased as a complete bike with a DA group and 32 hole Mavic rims for $3589. So 5500€ for a similar CAAD7 sounds overpriced.

kjop

just found something other interesting about prices... a guy is selling a CAAD7 R2000SI from 2003. it was sold back then for over 2000€ with original factory setup. and for several hundrets euro more he exchanged the original components with 2x9 ultegra-crank.

nice he has uploaded the invoice too.

in that 'kleinanzeigen'-offer he says, that the frame would be a 'carbon body'... don't know what he means, but carbon is only partially the fork, right?

Attachments

• 16c3b61f-daba-4a89-876e-0997ac7a4923.jpeg
    16c3b61f-daba-4a89-876e-0997ac7a4923.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 880d6554-5ede-490b-93bb-997e496e9311.jpeg
    880d6554-5ede-490b-93bb-997e496e9311.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

kjop

just in case it's vintage one day^^

a CAADX cyclocrosser from 2021. the guy bought it for nearly 1200€ and some 'upgrades/downgrades' for further 750€... overall almost 2000€. in my opinion with theses components from lower segments a little bit overpriced. the components then not even from one groupset.

when i look to those prices and the people just pay it... is it worth it? or do they just pay it, coz they want to have it? and the invoice isn't correct anyway, right? tiagra from 2019 has 10 speed, not 11. so they sold him something that he didn't got :/ tiagra sti for 500€?^^ and even when it was sold for 250, it's too much... hmm?

caadx20212.jpeg

caadx2021.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
2000€ sounds like a lot to me for a Tiagra bike but I am 20 or 30 years behind the times in terms of what I think of as reasonable prices for bikes and components. I didn't attempt to analyze whether all the components would function well together but in general I don't see mixed component groups as a big issue.

Obi

I had to pay 2300 Deutsche Mark (more than the 1150€ today due to inflation) in 1994 for my stock M800 in Berlin/Germany - and I did. They must have at least doubled the prices for certain european markets. Germany is high tax anyway plus shipping, import fees aso.
2300 DM was a lot. At least for me and I remember several discussions with friends and family regarding "...wasted money" and "should have saved it....".
But I had worked in an ice cream parlor four days a week after school. So they couldn´t say anything. :)
Cannondale came closest to how i imagined an MTB (fat tubes, Pepperoni fork and later the P-Bone). Not to mention the colors. They were also the only ones offering this kind of frame besides Klein in my part of Europe. Keep in mind that it all was pre- Internet. You just saw the bikes on the streets from time to time and tried to memorize them. By accident I found the only shop who had them in their line-up then in Berlin and took my chance. Thats now 30 years ago and I still enjoy them. A lot of money well spent. :)

kjop

Keep in mind that it all was pre- Internet. You just saw the bikes on the streets from time to time and tried to memorize them. By accident I found the only shop who had them in their line-up then in Berlin and took my chance. Thats now 30 years ago and I still enjoy them. A lot of money well spent. :)
you're absolutely right. the internet opened the world^^ without internet i wouldn't ride the cannondales probably... coz even today to get a cannondale here in my suburban region, a small town 50km to dortmund, without internet is nearly by zero :D

but this point is a good one to explain why the people pay those 'high' prices.

Obi

"...but this point is a good one to explain why the people pay those 'high' prices."

Compared to todays prices they appear cheap but they weren´t. Since my focus is on 90ies C´dales I didn´t bother that much with the new ones. Till yesterday. I spent some time finding a contact towards Cannondale Europe in the Netherlands. I kindly asked if CE could provide some infos about staff members from the founding phase of CE.
Let´s see if they will reply. During the research I´ve stumbled over a lot of posts from 2019-2023 claiming bad customer service, broken frames and lack of spare parts. It surprized me. My 90ies stuff is fine and except trueing wheels I can maintain everything myself.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Thanks for posting that. What was the additional 699 for? Looks like the bike was 1500.

I wrote down pricing in some catalogs mid 1990s but only on the models I was considering buying.

kjop

Thanks for posting that. What was the additional 699 for? Looks like the bike was 1500.
i don't know how to speek in english. if the process can be discribed in one word... in germany we call it 'inzahlungnahme'. usually it is common when you buy a new car and sell them your old one.

it seems he bought the cannondale from a bike store called 'campana' in burscheid, cologne. but they produced their own brand of roadbikes too? so he sold them his old bike, which was a 'campana' and left the store with the caad5.

the price for the caad5 was original 2199€. they bought the 'campana' back from him for 699€. so he 'only' had to pay 1500€.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
What we in the USA would term a "trade in". I just don't understand why the 2199 doesn't appear on the invoice. That would be the starting point here, and the 699 would be deducted from that on the invoice.