Replacing Stem on CAAD2 H800 (DD25 Headshok)

agifford

Hi there - I'm so happy I found this website and forum. I was able to figure out that the bike my uncle gave me to commute to work is a 1996 CAAD2 H800.

The previous owner (before my uncle) made significant upgrades to the bike, including a new drivetrain, wheels, groupset, etc., but what wasn't upgraded was the stem, which is incredibly long and kind of uncomfortable to ride with.

Up until now, I've just adjusted the seat to be as far forward as possible, but since I found these forums, I figured I'd see if anyone knows of any replacement stems that will work with the DD25 Headshok fork. I've attached some images of my bike (in Moss Green) as well as an image of another H800 I found online that seems to have a replacement stem.

Does anyone know any stems (or measurements) that I could use to replace the current one?

Thanks!

My bike
https://imgur.com/pK6UoBG
https://imgur.com/EfZRkoM
pK6UoBG

EfZRkoM

pK6UoBG
[/IMG]
EfZRkoM
[/IMG]

Here's a picture I saw of an H800 with a different stem
https://imgur.com/VppIb19

VppIb19
[/IMG]
VppIb19

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have several extra Headshok stems. Most of them are NOS ones that I bought from a bike shop in St. Louis. They are at a friend's house in STL. If you can give me an idea of the length and angle you need I will have him take a look. I may have one or two extras here as well.

agifford

I have several extra Headshok stems. Most of them are NOS ones that I bought from a bike shop in St. Louis. They are at a friend's house in STL. If you can give me an idea of the length and angle you need I will have him take a look. I may have one or two extras here as well.

Hi there - thanks so much for responding!

That sounds awesome. The current stem is 140mm, and all I really know is that I would prefer something shorter, but, I'm not sure exactly how short (maybe 100 or 110mm?). And to be totally honest, I'm also not sure what angle I'd need either. If I had to guess, it looks like my current stem has a rise of 7-10°, and that's definitely not the problem when I ride, so I figure something like that would work.

You can tell I'm not a bike genius :confused:, but I appreciate your message and your offer. If you have anything in that neighborhood - 100-110mm and 5-10° (and preferably chrome :)) - I'd be more than happy to buy it from you and pay for the shipping.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I am guessing that your current stem is about 6-10*. I will look for something in the 100-110 range with similar angle. Don't hesitate to contact me if I am slow to respond.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Did you measure from the centerline of the steerer tube to the center of the bar (through the center of the extension)?

I have a black stem here that measures 120 mm. It looks quite a bit more than 20 mm shorter than your stem to me.

agifford

Did you measure from the centerline of the steerer tube to the center of the bar (through the center of the extension)?

I have a black stem here that measures 120 mm. It looks quite a bit more than 20 mm shorter than your stem to me.

Hey there - Thanks for the reply. I think I may have measured the stem incorrectly then (I believe I measured from the front of the steerer tube to the back of the handlebars), so my stem may actually be closer to 150-160mm, but I do still think 120 would be good. I imagine it may be similar to this? No chrome stems, I guess then.

Giving that the stem I have seems abnormally long, I wouldn't think 120 would be a bad fit.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I thought your stem looked longer than 140 mm. My friend in STL hasn't gotten back to me. I can't remember for sure but think there were some silver ones. All I have here are black. The other issue is going to be bar clamp diameter. 1998 catalog says they were made in both 25.4 and 26.0 diameters. The one I have loose here is on a Silk Road, so it's surely 26.0. I can try a 25.4 bar in it and check fit but it would be better to find one that's 25.4 unless you want to switch to a drop bar. I found my paypal email for the stems in STL. It says I have 100, 110, and 120 that are 25.4. I will have to find out about angle and color. Bikewagon has black 120 mm with 5 degree angle. They only have one in stock, and I'd guess they won't be getting more.

https://www.bikewagon.com/part/stems/cannondale-headshok-xc3-120mm-x-25-4mm-x-5d-mtb-stem

The listing mentions that there are 2 steerer diameters, something I was not aware of. I will have to check and see what I have.

agifford

Interesting. I would prefer to stick to flat bars, so 25.4 would be best, unless they fit into the 26 easily. So if any of the stems in STL are silver (since I think anywhere from 100-120 would work), that would be perfect.

Re: the bikewagon listing, I think they may have included "not for 1.5" to make it clear that it wouldn't fit on any Lefty forks. The section labeled Steer Tube Diameter in this article makes me think that all Headshok steerer tubes are 1 9/16" (1.56").

agifford

I saw these on the cannondaleexperts.com site linked to that cannondaleanswers.com site, and I saw these, which were on sale. But it seems like silver stems are rare.

I did see this shim when poking around that allows 25.4 bars to fit 31.8, which got me thinking, which led me to this 25.4 to 26 shim when googling, so I'm thinking if one of the silver stems you have is 26, I would use that shim so I could keep the flat bars.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
26 to 25.4 shim is very thin but guess it would hold up if made of stainless steel. My stems are all black. You might as well use one of the 5 degree 25.4 ones in STL. You could always sand and polish a black one. I've done it with Coda crank arms that were scuffed up. Lots of work but will look almost like chrome if you do a good job. You will have to touch it up occasionally if you don't clear coat it. Doubt clear coat on polished AL would stick very well.

agifford

Gotcha. Good to know. Are you still willing to sell the 5* 25.4 100 and/or 110 stems? If you're wanting to sell them all, I'll take them too.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Certainly willing to part with one. If you decide that another length would be better after trying the first one I would be happy to trade. You will have to eat the shipping costs in that event. $20 for your choice of stem, + shipping.

agifford

That's perfect, you read my mind - not wanting to stockpile, just want to make sure I have the right size. I think I'll start with the 110. I'll PM you about payment/shipping details. Thanks