Please help me ID this Bike late 80s??

Carter Chapman

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching all over the internet trying to find a bicycle like this, but I have extremely little to go off of. All I have are the 2 pictures that I am attaching below. If anyone knew what it was or could help in any way I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

• bike image 1.jpg
    bike image 1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 179
  • bike image 2.jpg
    bike image 2.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 208

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The 3.0 series frames were made for several years and are basically the same. Paint/decal colors changed each year, as did component spec.

Carter Chapman

Thanks for the help! I was able to find the serial number which Im having a hard time deciphering... its 27042789038 but i cant figure out how large of a frame it is. I think you are correct that it is a 1989 black lightning!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
27" frame, which makes it a touring frame, likely an ST400 (mystic blue). The road frames used metric sizing but only went up to 63 cm, roughly 25". Your frame was the 38th made on April 27, 1989.

Carter Chapman

You are awesome! My work really needs at the minimum the front forks or an identical set, but preferable the whole bike and frame. Do you have any idea where would be the best place to find one??

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It's hard to find an original fork to fit a 27" frame. I had a 25" frame around here for a couple of years without finding a matching fork. Ended up using a Kinesis aluminum cyclocross fork on it. On a similar Nishiki frame I used a Surly fork. Although the geometry was somewhat compromised in both cases, the bikes have proved to handle fairly well. The (1" steerer) Surly fork could be purchased from Universal Cycles last time I checked.

If you think you need another frame or complete bike, you will probably have to keep searching eBay and craigslist. May take a while to find another 27" but they are surely out there. I found a nice 27" touring bike about a year ago on eBay. Didn't cost much and the seller met me locally so I didn't have to pay shipping. Friend bought it from me to replace his 25".