New Super V project

David Velez

So I was able to find a Super V which was sold locally here on Long Island. I believe it’s a late model 2000 but built to be sold for the 2001 year. My plan is to restobike it, I’ll keep the original super headshock but change pretty much everything else, I want to paint it Volvo blue team colors. Here is the bike after tear down and this is what I’m going for. I also have a carbon lefty I can put on it.

Attachments

• 909DC512-DDA6-4A7F-BE97-3C00AEF72B24.jpeg
    909DC512-DDA6-4A7F-BE97-3C00AEF72B24.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • 120E9787-832F-499C-9239-35E34845DA4B.jpeg
    120E9787-832F-499C-9239-35E34845DA4B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • BD35FC21-0882-493C-9E43-6DEA7394805E.jpeg
    BD35FC21-0882-493C-9E43-6DEA7394805E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • 61C983BC-181D-4680-84DB-60C0DAA1D0DF.jpeg
    61C983BC-181D-4680-84DB-60C0DAA1D0DF.jpeg
    908.3 KB · Views: 73

JohnnyD

I think you will enjoy the experience of doing a resto modding a Super V. The frame is super easy to sand to remove the paint. Your swing arm is going to be a bit difficult with all the recesses compared to how mine was, but it is still possible to do The real key is to not rush things and you will be really pleased with the final result.. I really like the idea of putting a Lefty Carbon on it paired with a more modern drive train and brakes and it will be a whole new bike. I know I am interested in how it will turn out so please keep us updated.

David Velez

I think you will enjoy the experience of doing a resto modding a Super V. The frame is super easy to sand to remove the paint. Your swing arm is going to be a bit difficult with all the recesses compared to how mine was, but it is still possible to do The real key is to not rush things and you will be really pleased with the final result.. I really like the idea of putting a Lefty Carbon on it paired with a more modern drive train and brakes and it will be a whole new bike. I know I am interested in how it will turn out so please keep us updated.
My plan is sram xx1, Magura disk brakes, carbon seat post, carbon bars, reverse stem, newer rear shock but I just don’t know which one and as for rims I can’t make up my mind lol. I like the crank brother, or maybe trying to find a carbon set, magic lol

JohnnyD

Hmmm, sounds like you are taking my recent Super V build to the next level! I am super curious how much lighter it will be with all the little carbon bits added.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
FYI. that rear swing is a death trap. They all crack or break. A lefty will fit on your frame. If you end up using a different fork, I would be interested in your headshox for a build. I have a 96 rear swing you could use, but that would be different rear travel (I think). CAAD4 and Jekyll rear swings are the best. However they have a different/longer shock mount. They are used for Uber and Lite Uber builds.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I just wanted to share some photos on the bonded rear. The broken black rear swing is mine. Same 2000 V as yours. A friend was ridding it and it cracked almost all the way. I broke it off all the way to prevent anybody ridding on it. The silver bonded shows the bond separating. Just a FYI. I would never ride a bonded rear swing.
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1808.jpg

JohnnyD

I just wanted to share some photos on the bonded rear. The broken black rear swing is mine. Same 2000 V as yours. A friend was ridding it and it cracked almost all the way. I broke it off all the way to prevent anybody ridding on it. The silver bonded shows the bond separating. Just a FYI. I would never ride a bonded rear swing.

The other place I've seen them crack was in the middle where the left and right halves were welded together.

David Velez

View attachment 8583View attachment 8584View attachment 8585View attachment 8586
So can those area’s be welded? I have a very good friend who is an amazing welder

JohnnyD

So can those area’s be welded? I have a very good friend who is an amazing welder
Yes and no.. Yes, they can be welded by a very skilled professional under perfectly ideal conditions. No, they will never strong as needed to be ridden safely.

David Velez

Yes and no.. Yes, they can be welded by a very skilled professional under perfectly ideal conditions. No, they will never strong as needed to be ridden safely.
Okay, my guy is amazing steel, titanium, aluminum professional welder. I’ll see what he says also. I want to keep this bike alive and going

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
You can see the "bond" under the paint of yours. It is a glue. Sadly, it is the design of the rear swing. They used the same design with the Gemini, but it it different. Without the bond... The best rear swing is the jekyll, and caad4. I do have a 96 rear if you are interested. Or you can take the risk. A lot of guys with the Gen 2 Raven have the bonded rear...

David Velez

You can see the "bond" under the paint of yours. It is a glue. Sadly, it is the design of the rear swing. They used the same design with the Gemini, but it it different. Without the bond... The best rear swing is the jekyll, and caad4. I do have a 96 rear if you are interested. Or you can take the risk. A lot of guys with the Gen 2 Raven have the bonded rear...
Does the 96 rear require anything special for it to work

David Velez

Brian is the 96 a CAAD 4