Maximun tire size for Cannondale Cyclocross 800 2004...

I’m upgrading my old crosser with some new wheels and will put some wider tires on it than the 32c i have on now. What’s the maximum I can fit? In the gallery is a similar frame with 37c wtb riddlers... That must be pretty close to the max? Thinking about rims with internal width 19 mm, tubeless setup. And wondering about Schwalbe G-one allround 35c vs 38c

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Are you referring to XR800/Cyclocross models? I think that I have 35 mm tires on one of mine. I will try to check the width and clearance tonight.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I checked my 1999 XR800 which has Campagnolo Vento wheels and 35 mm Kenda Small Block Eight tires. The tires measure about 33 mm and there is 5-6 mm clearance at the chainstays. My advise would be to stick to 35mm tires for these frames unless you know for a fact that the tire you are interested in tends to mount up a bit narrower than the nominal width. I'd guess that a Kenda 38 would clear (in dry conditions) but I wouldn't want to guess about Schwalbe, never having used them.
1999 SR800 tire clearance with 35mm Kenda small block 8 tires.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
How is the clearance in front compared to rear? On the aluminum fork models you could probably fit a bigger tire on the front than on the rear. That is also true with my 2010 CAAD8 CX (carbon fork) but I haven't owned one of similar vintage to yours.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
That's what I guessed. It's too bad that there isn't more clearance in the rear. I'd like to try 40+ mm tires on a road bike but will wait until some trickle down to my price range.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
These frames pre-date "gravel riding" by a number of years. They were built for traditional CX racing for the most part. Stock tire size was 30mm circa 2000. There really isn't a lot of extra area to work with to gain more tire clearance. I'm not an engineer but I'd guess that quite a bit of clearance could have been gained by using thicker walled chain stays and heavily crimping them to clear the tire. That would have added weight and cost to the frames.

I have now mounted my old crosser With Bontrager Paradigm TLR (internal width 19 mm) with Pirelli Cintaurato Gravel H 35c tires and I think this (as you said above) is pretty close to max, although you might fit 37c... AND secondly it looks really kick ass with the tan sidewalls and dark rims... oh lord. Will post pic later :)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I haven't seen Pirellis here since the days of 20 mm tubulars, still have one of those. I will have to look around and see if they are distributed in the USA. I'm looking forward to seeing your bike.

JeffM

I’ve just mounted 38c Panaracer Tourguards onto Mavic Open Road rims (16 mm internal width, I think) on a 1999 XS800. Doubt I could’ve fit a 40c due to tight clearance at BB/chainstay. Fork clearance was a non-issue with the Fatty. Have ridden 100 miles of mixed gravel and singletrack with no trouble, but expect I’ll have to be careful to keep wheel trued-up.

Previously ran 35c Conti Speed Kings and 35c Michelin Wildgripper Sprints, both proper ‘cross tires with shoulder knobs, also with adequate clearance.

Last edited: