Mavic MTB tribute

Vintage_bike_basement

So I’m debating doing something a bit different and building a tribute MTB to match the 91 mavic SR1000. My buddy does paint so he can do that part. What I’m running into is brakes. I can’t find anything in cantis made by mavic.
I can do a triple starfish crank with 853 long cage rear that will allow a 32T and there are a ton of wheel sets. Headset, I have. Planning on doing gripshift like the SR had. Gonna be a long term build because of cost.
Also going to do the same thing with a full zoot tribute. That will be much easier to do since it was shimano. I do have a full NOS campy Record OR I might use on the FZ tribute. I always go OG so thinking of different projects to stir it up a bit. One of the bikes will use an SE frame and the other a standard SM

IdahoBrett

I had to go look in the catalog to see what the Mavic and Zoot look like. Blue is my favorite color, so I like the Zoot tribute idea. But that Mavic being such a loud yellow sure would “pop”. I’d enjoy reading about either build. What’s your plan for decals?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Since Mavic road brakes were made by Modolo, you might look for there cantis, such as Cross and Rocky models:

Probably hard to find. If you don't want to use Shimano, SunTour, or DiaCompe/Ritchey, there were a number of small US companies that sold cantis in the early 1990s: Avid, Critical, Crystal, Grafton, IRD, Curve (Piranha), Joe's, Machine Tech, MRC, Paul, TNT, WTB.

Vintage_bike_basement

I had to go look in the catalog to see what the Mavic and Zoot look like. Blue is my favorite color, so I like the Zoot tribute idea. But that Mavic being such a loud yellow sure would “pop”. I’d enjoy reading about either build. What’s your plan for decals
I right there with you man, it’s a tough decision on where to start. The zoot would be the simpler build since everything mavic is tough to find and expensive as heck. I have some of the yellow parts I could use too like a hyperlite and flexstem.
For decals, I’d have to find someone that could recreate the originals. Not sure what model I’d call it off the bat, maybe SM Mavic or something like that.
Since Mavic road brakes were made by Modolo, you might look for there cantis, such as Cross and Rocky models:

Probably hard to find. If you don't want to use Shimano, SunTour, or DiaCompe/Ritchey, there were a number of small US companies that sold cantis in the early 1990s: Avid, Critical, Crystal, Grafton, IRD, Curve (Piranha), Joe's, Machine Tech, MRC, Paul, TNT, WTB.
Thanks! I’ll try the Modolo. It’s not so much staying away from those brands as it is trying to keep the mtb as close to the road as possible.