Magura Clara Bleeding

purpurite

Hi all, I'm having some difficulty with the bleeding process, mostly because the thread on the backside of the Clara calipers is not M6 but something else, that actually fits a ball pump needle. Is this an M8x1 or M8x1.25 thread or something else? I can't find anything anywhere about this thread being anything other than an M6, which includes the Clara/Julie manual from Magura.

I'm stumped, and now have half of my brakes without proper fluid. Any insight to my dilemma?

Doug

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
This might help:

As long as you can keep the reservoir full and pull it from the calipers. Maybe find a clear venial tube that can fit?

purpurite

Hmm... what's a venial tube?

I have read a couple of posts on various forums where people have tried to stuff a rubber tube into the caliper but it doesn't work and it makes a giant mess. In the manual you posted, they show a M6 threaded fitting connected to the caliper, but the caliper is definitely not an M6 thread (though the mounting points coincidentally are).

I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what type of thread is in this caliper, and have also reached out to Magura. I hope someone there can lend some insight as to why this is such an oddball.

I'll post info as soon as I have anything.

How many other Clara/Julie users out here on VC? This was OEM, there have to be others that have come across this at some point in the last 20 years.

purpurite

Soooo... not the answer I was looking for from Magura:

The proprietary bleed fitting for this age of brake is no longer available unfortunately; but by using just the tip of one of our medical grade syringes, you will be able to bleed the brake.

Really not thrilled about that, quite honestly. I know these are 20-year old brakes, but that leaves me pretty weak options for getting a proper bleed on these. I guess I will be forcing it and making a mess tonight.

:rolleyes:

purpurite

Whoa! LOL. That's a helluva correction.

I tried the push in an hold pressure on the tube method and that was a huge mess. Have some other new ideas that I'm going to try tomorrow evening.