It's Notta Restomod itsa a Modfurbishment.

woof

Restoration Modification Restomod? Nope.
Refurbishment with Modernization. Yes. So, a Modfurbishment.

1992 Cannondale 3.0. First picture as found and rescued. It did not have a model decal, so this was sold as a frameset by Cannondale. The former owner owned it from new and it was custom built, pretty much as pictured, back in about '93 by a bike shop that sponsored a team - he was one of the riders. So I was able to confirm this bike was never a "complete"... which kind of made me feel like I could take some license.

Cost me nothing. Notable features here... it came as a 9 speed (!) fully indexed and working very smoothly. Never really thought you could cram 9 speed into 126mm spacing, but here it is and it worked beautifully. FD is early 105, RD is Ultegra. It had Bontrager Select wheels. Much like Race Lights, at least in terms of the lacing. Other than that it had an old Selle Flight, and an actually really nice carbon fork I have not identified. It may have been a Cannondale fork as I have seen very similar on early bikes with Cannondale decals.

Anyway, I think we can agree that this is a relatively uninspired and drab build. TBH, it was uncomfortable though mechanically sound. I started a face lift and just kept going until there was really nothing left to do...

B5Qnnaf.jpg

Modfurbished

Modifications included Ultegra STIs, compact Easton EC90 carbon handlebars, FSA SB25 carbon setback seatpost and a Fizik Aliente carbon-railed saddle. New Supacaz tape, new Jagwire cables, Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC wheels, Schwalbe One with white lines, new chain, Look SPD pedals. Oh, and I did do a threadless conversion quill in order to fit a C2 Cannondale Stem and the handlebars wich are 31.8.

Almost all of it was stuff I had on hand.

Final weight is 20 pounds 2 ounces with pedals. The original '92 R500 weighed in at 22.5 lbs with downtube shifters, etc., no pedals. The 56cm Criterium frame weighed in at 3.2 lbs or 1451.5 grams. This is a 54 cm frame, though it fits much more like a 55. Cannot really tell it from my 56cm bikes effectively. It's probably hovering right around 3.0 pounds for the frame.

Very happy with the result in terms of cosmetics, comfort and performance - the latter two being the most important to me. Overall, though this does not represent a restoration as much as a refurbishment, all the parts and pieces were, at one time or another, spec'd to Cannondale bikes. The SB25 and Aliante were favorites of Sagan. The one exception is probably the Easton bars and the threadless converter.

So in many ways it is very true to form, and I really like how it turned out. More than anything I am amazed at how comfortable it is for an old, stiff, aluminum racing bike. Many say these 2.8s and 3.0s beat you up. The carbon bits, while they weigh less, add a lot of compliance in all the right places, and it is quite reasonable in terms of comfort. For me comfort equates to speed. The more comfy, the more likely I will be flogging the bike. In my typical short time trial, my time is within the normal bounds of variation - not appreciably slower than my best carbon bike (16+ pounds). It is not as fast as my best carbon bike, but it is not far off and it IS way prettier. LOL. Mechanically, the STIs are beautiful. Perfect in fact. I opted for a 3x9 even though the crankset is a 2x. There is an extra shift in-between, but it acts like a very large trim function, so it is not really that odd - really kind of natural. Works fine and it preserves the ability to eventually go back to the original 3x spec's to the R500 and where I will ride this bike I won't use granny all that much anyway.

Anyway, now there is no reason this bike can't go another 29 years. And yes, I have since "slammed" the quill/stem.

ovbABaW.jpg

Vv3Gvc3.jpg

uzdiPqO.jpg

5TcryAX.jpg

ejs2wqd.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have always thought that the ride quality of these frames tended to be overstated in terms of roughness. I think a lot of that stems from people coming to them from pretty soft steel frames. My first two road bikes were a 1987 R800 and a Reynolds 531 Bob Jackson. The Jackson had a nice ride but I rode the same loop several times on it but could never approach the lap time that was easy on the Cannondale.

1992 Cannondale road frames were surely all 130 spaced.

woof

You may well be right. People out there riding noodles. I have been riding Cannondale Aluminum for so long I frankly do not see this bike as particularly harsh - even before the refurb. I will say that with the carbon touch points it is still better than my CAAD 10 ever was with all alloy touchpoints.

>> 1992 Cannondale road frames were surely all 130 spaced.

Let me recheck this. This would explain to me why I can actually get a 9 in there without undue issues.

It's been at least since January since I made that determination. I though I got this off of the serial number... which assumes a type 2. That and the fact that I have to "work" a 130mm wheel to get it in properly.

woof

You may well be right. People out there riding noodles. I have been riding Cannondale Aluminum for so long I frankly do not see this bike as particularly harsh - even before the refurb. I will say that with the carbon touch points it is still better than my CAAD 10 ever was with all alloy touchpoints.

>> 1992 Cannondale road frames were surely all 130 spaced.

Let me recheck this. This would explain to me why I can actually get a 9 in there without undue issues.

It's been at least since January since I made that determination. I though I got this off of the serial number... which assumes a type 2. That and the fact that I have to "work" a 130mm wheel to get it in properly.

woof

Serial is 6 54 0392 2xx3 (spaces added for clarity as in examples on this site)

This is a Type 2 Serial number from 1992. The frame size is NOT a '65.' It is a S4 though. So that first number - the 6 - is the rear dropout spacing, and your reference clearly states that "6" is a 126mm spacing.

The fact that it is a 92 and subject to this serial number analysis is born out by the third set of numbers, ie: the production date which is March of 92. The sequence number is a little hard to read. I could probably discern it with a better light, but it matters little.

I formed this opinion back in January when I first purchased the bike and looked at the serial. I would have been glad to have been wrong. It does take a little extra finagling to get the wheel into the rear dropout. It is not difficult, but it also does not go in like a 130mm rear dropout either... LOL.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I stand corrected. My 1992 R1000 is 8 speed, so obviously 130 spaced. I was guessing that even the 7 speed 3.0 bikes that year would have had the same spacing, as 8 speed had existed since 1990 and was clearly the coming standard. I'm having trouble thinking of a reason to stick with 126 even on a 7 speed bike. Perhaps it was simpler to stick with 126 on the 3.0 frames because that's what the spacing was on the wheels that they could cheaply source.