Install Downtube Shifter Boss w/o damaging paint

I just had my 1989 SR800 powder coated which means everything had to be taken off, including the downtube shifter bosses. Does anyone know how to install these without scratching the paint?

Has the powder coat closed the hole diameters so that the bosses no longer fit?
No the hole diameters are still there. The rod fits through the holes, but the tightening is the issue because the caps are curved and hit the downtube. I'm hoping this is me be silly, but I can't figure out how to secure the mounts without scratching the pain.

I could have been a little clearer. I'm more concerned about tightening the mounts as they are curved to fit the downtube. I feel like there's a trick here I'm missing.

TOBYrDy.jpeg

XyIunEE.jpeg

Update: I'm a dummy. One of the nuts comes out. Hopefully someone can learn from this "mistake" in the future. Thanks for the quick response, though, Black Lightning!

igiKnQ9.jpeg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'm guessing the nut was stuck in the two piece end. I can see how that would confuse you if you'd never had one apart. The one piece end can get corroded from sweat and fail. I'd put a bit of grease on it and the threaded rod.

MEENI

Be carefull when bolting it on: this is a rare piece and it brakes sometimes with too mch pressure.
Its hard to get a replacement

Last edited: