How easy would it be to make this bike into a Gravel bike?

F6F1CECD-9034-418C-85EA-E8CD88250290.jpeg
3444FF91-0C14-4656-BB90-3468EB073E53.jpeg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It would depend on your terrain and how rough the gravel is. Looks to be a CAAD8 or CAAD9 road frame. They will generally fit a maximum of 28 mm slick tires, which are OK for hard packed relatively smooth gravel trails. With a GS cage rear derailleur and a bigger cassette you could get the gearing low enough to manage moderate inclines on hard packed smooth gravel. Steeper hills might require a triple or subcompact crank.

For rougher and hillier terrain, I'd recommend a touring or CX frame. They will take quite a bit wider tires, have cantilever (or disc) brakes for mud clearance, and generally will have lower gearing. If you have significant inclines to climb on loose gravel you will need a low enough gear to stay seated, because you are likely to loose rear traction if you stand up. I have ridden gravel hills that I couldn't get up when seated even with a 30 chainring and 26 sprocket. It's no fun to have to unclip your shoes and dismount when you realize you're either going to spin or stall out when half way up a steep loose gravel hill.

Thanks for your reply I like the fact that I could upgrade from 700x23 to a 700X28. I have read that some Road bike wheels can fit a 29er on this size of tire? Any experience with that? I’m going gravel because I love this bike it’s only 18 pounds and I think with a meatier tire I can take it on composite and light gravel trails along with the blacktop and concrete trails.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
You can mount 29" tires to your wheels but they will rub on the brake calipers and fork for sure, and probably the chain stays as well.

From you other posts I am guessing that you already own the bike. Give some 28 mm tires a try. Cheapest are probably Continental Ultra and Michelin Dynamic. Probably safer to try Continental as the Michelins tend to be bigger even though nominally the same size. Panaracer Pasela is probably the best 28 mm tire for what you want to do but they are more expensive than the other two.

Keep in mind that I would recommend a CX or touring frame as best for what you want to do but am trying to make reasonable suggestions based on your replies.

You can mount 29" tires to your wheels but they will rub on the brake calipers and fork for sure, and probably the chain stays as well.

From you other posts I am guessing that you already own the bike. Give some 28 mm tires a try. Cheapest are probably Continental Ultra and Michelin Dynamic. Probably safer to try Continental as the Michelins tend to be bigger even though nominally the same size. Panaracer Pasela is probably the best 28 mm tire for what you want to do but they are more expensive than the other two.

Keep in mind that I would recommend a CX or touring frame as best for what you want to do but am trying to make reasonable suggestions based on your replies.
I was looking at the Mohegia tires 700x28c
I have a question they say Tubeless does that mean they are primed to be made tubeless? Or they are actually tubeless and I won’t need an inter tube?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't know the tires but generally tubeless means they don't need tubes. Tubeless tires will require that the rims are sealed and as far as I know, all tubeless tires require sealant. As I see it the main advantage of tubeless is the ability to run low tire pressure without the likelihood of pinch flats. There may or may not be some weight advantage.

In your case I would recommend a low cost switch to 28 mm tires to start with. See if you have adequate clearance, and if they are enough tire for the terrain that you are riding.