Help me with my f-something

Pikoski

Hi, i'm new here and today is the day of finding some information about my old c, maybe you can help me with it.
IMG_20211101_154511_139.jpg
received_1257752664735851.jpeg
IMG_20211221_012636_210.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Welcome. Interesting bike. Looks to have JE date code, which would be May 1998 production. There were no disc brake USA models until 1999. If the XTR is original, that would indicate a top of the line model, such as the F3000. But in 1999, the upper models had CAAD4 frames and Fatty SL forks. It looks like your CAAD3 has a Fatty D. The 1999 F900 was CAAD3, Fatty D, with disc brakes. That's the closest model I have seen. Your bike could be some kind of pre-production test bike. It's really hard to say when the spec doesn't match anything in the catalogs. What brand are your brakes and crankset?

Pikoski

Welcome. Interesting bike. Looks to have JE date code, which would be May 1998 production. There were no disc brake USA models until 1999. If the XTR is original, that would indicate a top of the line model, such as the F3000. But in 1999, the upper models had CAAD4 frames and Fatty SL forks. It looks like your CAAD3 has a Fatty D. The 1999 F900 was CAAD3, Fatty D, with disc brakes. That's the closest model I have seen. Your bike could be some kind of pre-production test bike. It's really hard to say when the spec doesn't match anything in the catalogs. What brand are your brakes and crankset?

Thans for helping me!

Unfortunately all the equipment is not original, I bought complete bike with much newer stuff and decided to put on it things i'd like to have from zero, so there is nothing left from the original spec. For now there is Face Face Turbine ISIS cranks and Avid BB7 brakes, but I'm planning to replace both - just bought blue ISIS Race Face Next cranks and planning to wear older Avid CPS brakes to fit this project. Think I should post all the specs in the right place soon and tell the story - yeah, it's kind of long story;)

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
The decals look newer, 99+

I would like its a 99-00 frame, made in late 98. 99-2k they had decal confusion. Same with 89-90. I think your bike is maybe a crash replacement. Cannondale would sell the bikes as a frame only with no model number on it. So weird...

I bet it is a euro model. Maybe a F700 etc.. look through the 2000 catalog. It is Volvo blue. :)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Doubt it was built as a 2000 model with a June 1998 build code. Could well be a warranty frame. I built my 1999 CAAD4 road from a NOS frameset in 1999 or 2000, and it came with R4000 decals and same Team Blue/yellow quadwrap decals as the OP's bike. So there were definitely frames out there that had or did not have model designations.