Hello from Cincinnati

Sai

Hi everyone, I'm Tim from Cincinnati Ohio. I have a black lightning I found on craigslist a few years ago. I need to make some repairs to it. However, I know nothing about bike repairing. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Cheers

Sai

I'm pretty sure I need entire new rear wheel Rim / drivetrain. I hit a wicked bump the other day and I have four bent Spokes and one Broken Spoke I think the axle might be bent to I haven't taken it off yet to really examine it and I really have no idea about specifications when it comes to buying replacement parts. And should I upgrade or should I try to keep it original I don't know. Thank you for the quick reply
Kind regards, Tim

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would try to keep a Black Lightning as original as possible, especially if it's from 1987 or 1988 as they were higher up in the line and had better parts than the later ones. I believe they all came with Wolber rims, which are getting hard to find for a reasonable price. I'd begin by looking at the local co-op but keep an eye on eBay. If you can't find a Wolber, I'd look for another dark anodized clincher (Mavic, Nisi, Ambrosio, Campagnolo, etc.). Replace all the spokes (you most likely will need different lengths if you can't find an exact match for the rim) and lace them the same way they were originally. I think all Black Lightning hubs were Sansin. SunTour hubs were pretty much the same, so it shouldn't be too hard to find an axle. If you just want to get the bike rolling again, most any 126 mm (hub width) 700C wheel with a freewheel hub will do the job. There's probably a guy like me who's not too far from you that has half a dozen he'd loan out.