Headshok, elastomer completely perished

Nico

Took out the damper from my Killer V 800 (98 model).
I expected to find an elastomer that was just so much compressed that it had no life in it anymore.
What I found was a tube full of small bits of perished elastomer.

I cannot get this stuff out without contaminating the needle bearings so I will take out the bottom plug.

But first I have to finish another rebuild before I will continue working on this one.

More on this situation as the information becomes available. ;)

headshok.jpg

IdahoBrett

Hopefully a good flushing with something like mineral spirits will clean all those decomposed elastomer bits out…

IdahoBrett

Makes me think I better service my headshok sooner rather than later. Mine is a decade newer. I wonder at what age or use the seals degrade to the level yours did.

Nico

Thanks for asking

I found a company that sells 25 mm round, 1000 mm long elastomer bars.
No idea if the material have the right specs.
But it is not that expensive so I am willing to buy it to see if it is suitable as a replacement part.

If it works for me it will also work for other Cdale dampers were the damping material has perished

black lightning 1987

Staff member
What is the price for what you found? There may be some options here but they aren't exactly inexpensive:

Nico

Ow sorry, I thought I had mentioned the price for the elastomer.
A 1 meter bar is sold for around $10,- ex shipping.

Next week I will order one of those elastomers to see if it is the right size and material.
I will let you know about my findings :)

Nico

Some updates from my side.

Attached an image of 2 types of dampers.
On the left a DD50, this is an oil cartridge with lock out and damping.
This one I used in a Silk Road fork with more than 25 mm travel, I think I made it like 40 mm.
The frame is scrapped because of small cracks in the seat stay and it was no longer safe to drive.
If you can enlarge the image you can see that the elastomer that came out is also finished since it is full of cracks.

On the right an EDM/MC50 that came out of my Killer V800 with the perished elastomer.
Next step is ordering some PU elastomer and cut it to size.
That last part will be trial and error for the size of the elastomer since I can't find any technical specs for a 50 travel fork to what size it should be.

dd2.jpg

Last edited:

Nico

Surprise, surprise

Never expected I would find a spring inside my fork.
Maybe that blue that you can see on the image with the internals of the fork should have been a heads up...

Anyways, I ordered the 25 mm elastomer anyways, so lets see what that brings.
demper killer v.jpg

Last edited:

Nico

I pulled this spring out of my 1998 Killer V800.
Initially I thought it had just an elastomer serving as spring/damper.
But I found the spring and what is left of some kind of, I guess, polyurethane.

But there is more work coming up.
As you can see on the first image I posted, the blades from the needle bearings have moved up.
So I want to disassemble the fork to fix the issue with the blades.

Nico

This weekend I rebuild the headshok, the bearing blades are now were they are supposed to be.

Also last week the 1 meter elastomer bar arrived.
Unfortunately it's size is 25,6 mm so it is to thick to for the fork tube.

With a small grinder i got it to 24,0 - 24,5 mm.
It feels quite stiff so I decided to make a couple of notches to make it a little thinner and more flexible.
Right now it look like I have not taken enough of so this could mean I need to look for another supplier.

For those of you who know something about hardness, the material is 90 shore A.

I will do some more work on it to see if I can improve the compressibility.

elastomer.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I kike you approach to the problem. When I worked in motor racing we often changed "bump rubbers" and would saw them shorter when that seemed to be advantageous for the conditions. The race car elastomers were typically conical for about half of their compressible height. I don't remember trimming one other than in height, but we had different durometer elastomers to work with.