Gravel bikes

IdahoBrett

Now that you mention it, I believe I've seen F series listed for sale as a road bike. I thought it was odd. But I didn't click on the ad to see that it was a converted frame. Yes I recall the handlebars being different.

IdahoBrett

After some more reading of catalogs I discovered the cyclocross series (XR800, XS800). No mods needed more or less. Just choose a tire that fits. And it appears they can accommodate plenty.

Problem that I discovered is that they are UNICORNS! Did I show up to the gravel bike party late and they’re all bought up? Or were sales/production numbers low? I could just be miscalculating the fact that they are over a decade old. At 54 2005 does not sound old ;)

I’m learning a bunch of technical stuff that is fuel for my grey matter. Which for me and my hobbies is a must.

Some of the things I’ve discovered when contemplating a modded bike to make it “gravel worthy” is axle and tire width. What I can’t find is dimensions for frames. Yes I know; Cannondale. But say I go with a 700c wheelset and a 34mm tire what road frames are likely candidates? Or am I approaching it from the wrong starting point?

Looking at pictures of road bikes the seat stays vary in width and look narrow. The cyclocross look generous back there(see above). Not sure about the warrior frames, as they do look like they narrow nearing the top. A bad boy if I read correctly is meant for road and mtb wheels. Then as @JohnnyD mentioned an F series mtb has plenty of room. I haven’t seen many touring bikes for sale and I haven’t dove deep enough on those frames to comment.

Ok, I’ve rambled enough and my morning coffee cup is empty…..

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have two XR800s. My problem with them is that they are "vertically deficient", meaning neither seat or head tube is tall enough for me. I end up way too leaned over even on the largest size (58 cm IIRC). I much prefer the geometry of the Asian made CAADX from circa 2011. Pic is a 56 cm XR800 from around 1998.
xr800 orange 4.jpg

IdahoBrett

Interesting. I’m 6’2” with a 34 inch inseam. I think Cannondale sizing chart says I’m good for 58cm. But I wonder about that. I know on their mtb frames prior to 2010 the XL “feels” like the correct size. Reading your comment I may have to stick to a 60cm in my searching.

texmexas

Interesting. I’m 6’2” with a 34 inch inseam. I think Cannondale sizing chart says I’m good for 58cm. But I wonder about that. I know on their mtb frames prior to 2010 the XL “feels” like the correct size. Reading your comment I may have to stick to a 60cm in my searching.
I have 2 58cm XS800s, 1998, 2003. The rear stays have a smidge more clearance on the 98 than the 2003. (CAD3 vs CAD4) I can run 38mm on the '98 and 35mm on the 2003, maybe bigger but I choose not to. With the Headshok forks a 40mm works no problem. Also I am 6'2" and they fit fine. I just converted the '98 to flat bars with XT shifters and brake levers last winter. Probably my favorite cross bike, also have a steel Jamis Nova which is mighty fine.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have 2 58cm XS800s, 1998, 2003. The rear stays have a smidge more clearance on the 98 than the 2003. (CAD3 vs CAD4) I can run 38mm on the '98 and 35mm on the 2003, maybe bigger but I choose not to. With the Headshok forks a 40mm works no problem. Also I am 6'2" and they fit fine. I just converted the '98 to flat bars with XT shifters and brake levers last winter. Probably my favorite cross bike, also have a steel Jamis Nova which is mighty fine.
Just illustrates that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to bike sizes. You're two inches taller than I and comfortable on a 58 cm XS800. I think a 58 is too small for me and if they had made a 62cm, that's what I would prefer.

Friend has a Jamis CX. I'm trying to remember the tubing - Reynolds 631?

texmexas

Just illustrates that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to bike sizes. You're two inches taller than I and comfortable on a 58 cm XS800. I think a 58 is too small for me and if they had made a 62cm, that's what I would prefer.

Friend has a Jamis CX. I'm trying to remember the tubing - Reynolds 631?
The Jamis is 631, mine's a 57cm, admittidly on the small side, 2001 and my wife has a 2002. They are no Cannondale but nice rides. I actually prefer the Jamis for pavement and the XS800s for mixing it up. My wife also has a Redline Conquest and a 1998 XR800, upgraded a touch, we just picked up for $200. We now have matching 1998 800's.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Buddy has been very happy with his Jamis. Only issue has been the finish on the Tiagra parts hasn't held up well - as is typical of that era Shimano. The XR800 for $200 was a steal.

texmexas

Buddy has been very happy with his Jamis. Only issue has been the finish on the Tiagra parts hasn't held up well - as is typical of that era Shimano. The XR800 for $200 was a steal.
The starting price for the XR800 may have been$550, which I knew was high. He then dropped to $300. We went to look at it and offered $200. I thought we settled at $250, next thing I know he says he'd take $200. It's not pristine, but for a '98, it's nice. Like you said, a steal.