Grail Bike

IdahoBrett

Has anyone found their “holy grail” bike for sale but it was on the other side of the country? And you didn’t know anyone that lived near the for sale bike?

But you managed to buy it anyway. How did you do it?

It’s a thought that crossed my mind as I searched for a previously unknown to me model of Cannondale; XS800. I spotted one in the correct size and condition. But not necessarily the color if I were to be so picky. And it’s pricy. But apparently pretty rare bike these days.

IdahoBrett

Yep. Not really going to buy it any time soon anyways. I am looking at buying a new bike transport vehicle(aka Jeep) soon, so bike acquisitions are on hold at them moment.
Did that bit in May and kids are back to school soon. So unless a deal I can’t pass on falls out of the sky I‘ve got to slow up on bike acquisitions…..I didn’t say I would stop looking though….

purpurite

Convince the seller to bring the bike to the local bike shop and have them pack it for shipping. Pay for all shipping and the time of the bike shop. It requires the seller only to bring the bike somewhere. You will pay for it, but if you really want it, that's the easiest path to acquisition. I've done it, and the feeling when you open the bike box to unload it is awesome.

JohnnyD

Convince the seller to bring the bike to the local bike shop and have them pack it for shipping. Pay for all shipping and the time of the bike shop. It requires the seller only to bring the bike somewhere. You will pay for it, but if you really want it, that's the easiest path to acquisition. I've done it, and the feeling when you open the bike box to unload it is awesome.
I've tried that and sadly the seller wasn't willing to go that far. Kind of dumb of him since the bike is STILL for sale on Pinkbike.. OH WELL his loss is my gain because I wound up buying the Habit frame instead.

IdahoBrett

On another bike forum I asked the same question and received some positive responses. One such pointed me to a thread of facilitators. Seems there are other “collectors” out there willing to help.

I’m giving it some thought. I’ve bought 7 bikes this summer already.

My wife is starting to give me that look. You know the one. “Hun shouldn’t we finish this or that project on the house first?” Or “hun, the kids start school in a few weeks and the kids outgrew their clothes this summer.”

We’ve been together almost twenty years and I know what she’s thinking with…just that look. But hey, two of the bikes this summer are hers. One being a Klein FS bike that is just minty….

Cheers all

JohnnyD

On another bike forum I asked the same question and received some positive responses. One such pointed me to a thread of facilitators. Seems there are other “collectors” out there willing to help.

I’m giving it some thought. I’ve bought 7 bikes this summer already.

My wife is starting to give me that look. You know the one. “Hun shouldn’t we finish this or that project on the house first?” Or “hun, the kids start school in a few weeks and the kids outgrew their clothes this summer.”

We’ve been together almost twenty years and I know what she’s thinking with…just that look. But hey, two of the bikes this summer are hers. One being a Klein FS bike that is just minty….

Cheers all
I'd love to see the Klein!

IdahoBrett

I'd love to see the Klein!
Well since I can’t send a pic in a private message. Which I’d rather do since it is of a non-Cannondale bike I’ll do it here. My apologies if that is wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0394.jpeg
    IMG_0394.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 38

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't really have a grail bike in mind but I bought two dual suspension titanium Serottas from a guy in the southwest, one road, one MTB. Also bought a Ti Serotta Hors Categorie from a bike forum guy in Switzerland. Pic is of the softail road bike.
WP_20150515_18_11_25_Pro.jpg

Vintage_bike_basement

Yep, 4 times and all 4 times I got killed on shipping. But now I have them and take the time to get them back to OG status!

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpeg
    IMG_1542.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27

JohnnyD

Well since I can’t send a pic in a private message. Which I’d rather do since it is of a non-Cannondale bike I’ll do it here. My apologies if that is wrong.
IDK about anyone else, but I will always forgive a non-Cannondale bike if it is a Klein! I wanted a Klein Attitude more than anything back in 1992, I couldn't find a dealer near me in while stationed in Germany at the time, so I bought my first Cannondale M500 in white. That bike got stolen while on base somehow, and was replaced by the M700 that I still have to this day.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It's a shame what Trek has done with Klein, Bontrager, LeMond, and Fisher brands. I have bikes of all 5 brands but only Trek survives and I don't know if any Treks are still made in USA. My Klein was built under Trek ownership but still made in Chehalis. Paint and detailing was great on Kleins even under Trek ownership. Can't say the same about LeMond.

IdahoBrett

I’ve been reading about the Trek saga this summer. Disheartening in my lowly opinion.

The Klein story is fascinating. The one I picked up this summer is an ‘02, last year for Chehalis built bikes. Like Cannondale of “vintage” make, the welds were finished. My first trip into a Trek store this summer in over a decade I thought of the new bikes as unfinished. Beautiful ”dime stacking” of the welds. But in my opinion unfinished.

JohnnyD

It's a shame what Trek has done with Klein, Bontrager, LeMond, and Fisher brands. I have bikes of all 5 brands but only Trek survives and I don't know if any Treks are still made in USA. My Klein was built under Trek ownership but still made in Chehalis. Paint and detailing was great on Kleins even under Trek ownership. Can't say the same about LeMond.

I couldn't agree more. Sadly, corporate profit margins are far more important than brand identity and history. It's a problem in far more than just the biking industry.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The upside is that with folks buying into whatever is latest and greatest, the older bikes can be had for a fraction of what they cost new and can be found in great shape.

JohnnyD

The upside is that with folks buying into whatever is latest and greatest, the older bikes can be had for a fraction of what they cost new and can be found in great shape.
True, as long as you are willing to be patient. Otherwise you run the risk of running into a seller that has an over inflated opinion of what their bike is worth.