Geometry chart of the 2001 Caad4 R600 Aero

FirstTT

Dear community,

does somebody own a better scan of the 2001 catalogue, because I´m not able to read the geometry charts from https://vintagecannondale.com/year/2001/2001.pdf

I´m trying to build my own interpretation of the CAAD3 Time Trial bike of Mario Cipollini, but I´m unsure with choosing the right frame size to start with.

dtbaker_thumb.php

caad-series-cannondale.jpg

Thanks,
FirstTT

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Are you thinking of a bike with 650C or 700C wheel size? Cannondale made time trial frames with both wheel sizes at the time. I don't know what the team used but I'd guess 700C. In 2001 the frame would have been a CAAD4. I don't have a better scan of the 2001 catalog, but I have a print copy of the 2000 catalog. The geometry didn't change from 2000-2001. Here's the 2000 geometry chart for the 700C frames.
2000 CAAD4 Aero Geometry.jpg

FirstTT

Thanks a lot for the upload! Yes, I´m going for the 700c option.

Now it´s time to decide on frame size and sourcing the frame/bike. I try to post a build thread.

Cfink828

Dear community,

does somebody own a better scan of the 2001 catalogue, because I´m not able to read the geometry charts from https://vintagecannondale.com/year/2001/2001.pdf

I´m trying to build my own interpretation of the CAAD3 Time Trial bike of Mario Cipollini, but I´m unsure with choosing the right frame size to start with.

dtbaker_thumb.php

caad-series-cannondale.jpg

Thanks,
FirstTT
Love these bikes! The CAAD 4 Aero bikes are fast, ride nicely and are reasonably light. Only comment is that the geometry is a bit aggressive overall and the bike itself is very quick handling...not twitch, but darty. It's never gotten the wobbles on really fast downhill sections, but it will really dive hard into a corner - if you are used to riding a modern mountain bike, you'll stuff this bike into the ground on a quick, tight corner if you aren't careful. That being said - I'd give a kidney to find a fork like what is in the top photo, as I've broken mine and replaced with a capable, but much less beautiful Profile ASC fork.

FirstTT

Thanks for the advice on the ride characteristics, because it will also be my first TT bike.

Really unfortunate, that your fork broke, but a 3k carbon replacement fork in combination with a 3k carbon crankset, seatpost and spacers and a red and yellow Cinellli Alter stem will probably also look really, really nice. Do you got pictures of your current setup? I´m really looking forward to the build.

Last edited:

Cfink828

Ten year old pic of the bike with and without aero bars and the with and without the original fork. Man - I don't have that minivan or that house anymore, but I still have the bike!
FB_IMG_1589377999254.jpg
FB_IMG_1589378034801.jpg

Cfink828

Thanks for the advice on the ride characteristics, because it will also be my first TT bike.

Really unfortunate, that your fork broke, but a 3k carbon replacement fork in combination with a 3k carbon crankset, seatpost and spacers and a red and yellow Cinellli Alter stem will probably also look really, really nice. Do you got pictures of your current setup? I´m really looking forward to the build.
Funny you mention the Cinelli Alter stem - I've been eyeballing one, but it would also require a new bar, since I have a 31.8 bar on there now. But - the look would be spot on.

FirstTT

Such a beautiful bike!

Funny you mention the Cinelli Alter stem - I've been eyeballing one, but it would also require a new bar, since I have a 31.8 bar on there now. But - the look would be spot on.
There is some extra effort to be made, but like you said, the look would be spot on - especially with the thick tubing of the Aero frameset. Go fot it!

p5pb14112152.jpg

Red or yellow? I don´t know...probably red.
fwh6JRnpwC7abEoN8EEcPX-650-80.jpg

Cannondale-Cipollini-min.jpg

TimmS

DSC_1472(2).JPG
Here is my CAAD4 aero incarnation.
Few upgrades since, tririg frontbrake, 54t aero oval chainring and chopped the steerer.