First gen. Headshok questions

petergt4

I'm keen buying an old Delta V full suspension bike (either 1000 or 2000) in the future.

Most that I've seen for sale online seem to all have dead forks.

I've done some quick research and it seems the original Headshok fork is not serviceable/tuneable? A person can change out the damping oil and that's about it. Is that true, or can they be taken apart and properly be serviced/rebuilt and/or modified for performance?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The '96 catalog states that all current and previous generation Headshok frames can be updated to the Fatty fork, which featured an air sprung oil damped cartridge. I don't know for certain but I'd guess by then they were serviceable. If you ride a size small the F series bikes of that era featured a Delta V (then called Killver V) style frame in size small only. By '98 the Killer V 700 and 900 were available in the full size range. There were 3 Headshok forks at that time, all listed in the catalog as fully serviceable.

I would check with Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith about what upgrades can be done:

http://mendoncyclesmith.com/

petergt4

The '96 catalog states that all current and previous generation Headshok frames can be updated to the Fatty fork, which featured an air sprung oil damped cartridge. I don't know for certain but I'd guess by then they were serviceable. If you ride a size small the F series bikes of that era featured a Delta V (then called Killver V) style frame in size small only. By '98 the Killer V 700 and 900 were available in the full size range. There were 3 Headshok forks at that time, all listed in the catalog as fully serviceable.

I would check with Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith about what upgrades can be done:

http://mendoncyclesmith.com/

Thanks. I bought a Killer V 900 back in 1994. It was rigid. I'm kicking myself as the store did have a Delta V but it was several hundred dollars more expensive(!). Not that I'm complaining, I loved my KV and I still own it today (24 years!).

Only issue I have with the Fatty upgrade is that they use straight fork blades, so it loses the original look of the Pepperoni blades.

I'll check out that link!

The photo below of my KV900 was taken several years ago. The Spin wheels are long gone (went on another bike which I sold) and although it's been a wall-hanger for a while, I'm bringing it back to life later this summer.
Cannondale-KillerV900-a.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
That looks like a '95 KV900. I have the similar spec but level TT M900 in purple. I bought it new, it's all original except for tires, skewers, and rear rack. I need to get a photo some time. Here's my '92 Delta V900. Originally 7 speed LX, I built it with mixed SunTour 8 speed parts. Let us know what you find out about servicing/upgrading the Pepperoni forks.
1992 Cannondale Delta V 900.jpg

petergt4

That looks like a '95 KV900. I have the similar spec but level TT M900 in purple. I bought it new, it's all original except for tires, skewers, and rear rack. I need to get a photo some time. Here's my '92 Delta V900. Originally 7 speed LX, I built it with mixed SunTour 8 speed parts. Let us know what you find out about servicing/upgrading the Pepperoni forks.View attachment 2598

Nice...

The only original parts on my KV900 in that photo is the frame, forks, stem and seat post. I saved all of the original parts though and most of the good stuff that still works, will be put back on during this current rebuild.

zjbuilder

Delta V 1000 owner here. My headshok is dead and I'm trying to replace it with a standard 1 1/8" steerer fork. However, I'm having a really tough time finding a headset reducer.

The cups on my bike are 2.000 reducing to 1.800" on top and 2.280 reducing to 1.800" underneath. I mistakenly ordered Problem Solvers reducers previously, but they were for 1.5 headtubes and obviously didn't fit. I'd like to not have to continue to order and return until I find the winning combination but info is hard to come by on such an old frame.

Does anyone know if the KP058 adapter kit that Cannondale sells would fit?

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Are you looking to go with a modern tapered fork? If so there are lots of adapters out there for this. Just remember the travel/rake.

Also, if you find a straight 1 1/8th adapter, remember the frames are designed for the headshox, this is why the older cannondale adapters have the big spacer on the bottom. :rolleyes:

VintageCannondale at one time, sold these adapters. But they were not very popular. :D

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Delta V 1000 owner here. My headshok is dead and I'm trying to replace it with a standard 1 1/8" steerer fork. However, I'm having a really tough time finding a headset reducer.

The cups on my bike are 2.000 reducing to 1.800" on top and 2.280 reducing to 1.800" underneath. I mistakenly ordered Problem Solvers reducers previously, but they were for 1.5 headtubes and obviously didn't fit. I'd like to not have to continue to order and return until I find the winning combination but info is hard to come by on such an old frame.

I think a lot of the appeal of Cannondale MTBs is that they were different, didn't use off-the-shelf forks from other companies (except at the low end). I'd encourage you to find a Headshok fork or perhaps upgrade to a Lefty. I haven't dealt with Craig (see above) but in your situation I would run the question by him.

If your frames headset cups sit flush to the head tube, you have a new enough headset that you can use a newer Headshock or Lefty. If your cups sit proud of the frame, and have small pinch bolts, you need to get the newer/SI/flush fitting ones.

All this is to allow a newer Cannondale suspension though.

Used to be adapters for other brands of forks, they are kinda like hens teeth now.