F3000, but which one?

SBC

I picked up this frame at a yard sale $5. It seems pretty obvious, but I can't figure out exactly what this frame is.

The date code on the BB shell is 'KE' indicating a 1999 May build. The frame decals state F3000, and it has the awesome darkened clear coat colorway. It has an Ultra Fatty Head Shok. It has disc brake and V-brake mounts on the frame and fork.

Here's what I've been able to piece together:
It looks like a 1999 F3000 - but it is in an unlisted color, and has a different fork (Fatty SL vs. the Ultra that I have) than noted in the 1999 catalogue on page 16.

The May 1999 build date made me think it could have been an early production MY 2000 bike, but 2000 F3000 models got the 'SL' designation that this frame does not have. However, it looks like the 2000 MY bikes shipped with Fatty Ultra, which my frame does have.

In poking around the internet I've found pictures of other labeled F3000's that look just like this, so mine must not be a one-off. Is it just in a color that was released after the catalogue went to press? Do we think it's a MY 1999 or MY 2000 with the Fatty Ultra?

Thanks in advance!

20221115_162926.jpg

20221115_164221 (1).jpg

20221115_164341 (1).jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would say it's a 1999 model with possible mid year changes to the specs. Did the others you have seen have the same fork? Which head tube decal does it have? They changed between 1999 and 2000 models.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Too bad that the pinkbike listing doesn't show the fork or head tube decals. The head tube decal that you posted was first used on 2000 models. Some questions defy a definitive answer.

Reactions: SBC

SBC

It looks like the headtube makes an appearance in the second photo, and with the 2000+ decal. Go figure!

The paint is wrecked on this frame unfortunately, so it'll be getting a teardown and respray anyways.

Some things are just meant to remain a mystery. Thanks for the input!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
We really need someone who was with the company at the time to answer these kind of questions. I can only guess. I would think that there might have been some pre-production painting of frames to try out new colors and graphics.

Reactions: SBC