COVID Convert - SR600

PreacherSSMC

Greetings! Out of the gym because of Covid i had to find something to make me move, so started looking in CList for a cheap bike. Lifelong motorcycle rider, but hadn't been on a pedal bike in 25-30 years.

After a week of looking and buying a cheaper bike that got my interest, 3 days later I sprung for a Cannondale 3.0 that I just learned here, is an SR600. It had a flat and the pointed Shimano pedals...I bought it for $250 untested and was impressed on how light it was picking it up to put in my truck.

Went straight to a Sea & Ski for an inner tube and ended up paying them to install. The mechanic was helpful but telling me it was old technology, stiff frame, and would beat the hell out of me. Guy was polite but busting my bubble of the new purchase. Talked about my 23mm tires and recommended I go up to 25mm..etc, etc. Looking at the bike, I was still impressed, it was nicer than any bike I ever had. Conversation ended with....I'm going to try it for the experience and he agreed...yeah, try it, you might like it.

Well..I love it! It's been a measly 9 days, but I've ridden every day but one and I'm digging it. Will see where this journey takes me, but so far...I'm loving my 1990 old technology Cannondale.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Pretty common comment about the 3.0 frames being too stiff. I have around 8,000 miles on one and still think it's a pretty great bike. A lot of those opinions come from guys schooled on Reynolds 531 frames, which although they ride better, also are noodles when it comes to transferring pedal pressure to forward motion. Bigger tires will help the ride. I think I've had some brands of 28s on mine, 26s for sure. Enjoy the bike.

SR400 -105

Pretty common comment about the 3.0 frames being too stiff. I have around 8,000 miles on one and still think it's a pretty great bike. A lot of those opinions come from guys schooled on Reynolds 531 frames, which although they ride better, also are noodles when it comes to transferring pedal pressure to forward motion. Bigger tires will help the ride. I think I've had some brands of 28s on mine, 26s for sure. Enjoy the bike.

LOL I have 21's on mine still love the stiffness going up hills

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'm with you. I was never able to average the same speed on a 20 mile loop with a Reynolds 531 bike (Bob Jackson) as on the same route with a 1987 Cannondale. I tried it several times and was always quicker on the Cannondale.

MEENI

That is a good looking classic!!
You can always instal a seatpost with a shock for the first painfull weeks
When your used to it go back to original

PreacherSSMC

Thanks for the cudo's on the bike and the suggestion. No need on the suspension seat...it's been over 60 days now, I ride between 5 to 15 miles a day at least 6 days per week and keep digging it more and more. Picked up a half aluminum half carbon Litespeed...nice bike with Ultegra components....but still like the Cannondale most.

PreacherSSMC

I had forgotten that Litespeed made some aluminum models but remember them now. Circa 2002 I'd guess.

You'd be correct. Mine is a 2003 Sirius. Seems from mid-2000 to mid-2004 Litespeed made several models with aluminum frames and "titanium wrapped" carbon forks, seat stays, seat post, and bars; but ultimately went back to all titanium bikes.

I found one in near perfect condition for $350 and spent $90 to have it shipped. It has full Ultegra components, is a looker, and a very fine bike. Rode it last night and really enjoyed it. Some say my 56mm Cannondale is too big for me...but I like the way it feels. The Litespeed is a compact and overall a better fit. Can't yet pinpoint why I like the Cannondale feel a little more....but as I swap back and forth I'm learning how the setups, size, even frame materials can effect things.

Attachments

• Litespeed Sirius.jpg
    Litespeed Sirius.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 131

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I really liked the painted Litespeeds, was never a fan of the brushed finished Ti bikes. I'm referring to appearance, I never rode one of either material.

$430 delivered sounds like a good deal to me.

Given some time I might be able to find a Colorado Cyclist catalog with a listing for your frame. I'm not sure how much detail was in the Litespeed geometry charts, but there might be something there to give a clue towards your preference for the Cannondale.

PreacherSSMC

I really liked the painted Litespeeds, was never a fan of the brushed finished Ti bikes. I'm referring to appearance, I never rode one of either material.

$430 delivered sounds like a good deal to me.

Given some time I might be able to find a Colorado Cyclist catalog with a listing for your frame. I'm not sure how much detail was in the Litespeed geometry charts, but there might be something there to give a clue towards your preference for the Cannondale.

Cool...I would appreciate that! There is very little information about any of the aluminum Litespeed models.