Cannondale suspension seatpost servicing?

wphil

This seemed the most likely thread to find info so here goes.

I am in the UK and have a 2003 R1000sport road bike that I have had from new. It has a Cannondale suspensions seatpost.

I have never been able to find any information for this seatpost so no idea of servicing/preventative maintenance. I once lifted the boot and smeared some grease on the visible sliding surfaces. What I've discovered taking it apart suggests this didn't achieve anything.

Recently it was feeling distinctly odd and almost seized.

I set to to dismantle it on the principle of it's not working so what have I got to lose.

It required a hammer to get the post out of the sleeve. The design seems to be similar to a headshok although I've never taken one of those apart.

I originally thought it might be something Cannondale bought in rebranded but the design suggest it is an in house part.

The post is triangular with three bearing surfaces; these have some steel (stainless?) strips in both the post and sleeve with needle roller strips in between. One had lost some rollers at one end and the needles are a bit corroded.

I have basically done a bodge job on it. Cleaned everything up, regreased and put back together which still required a hammer suggesting I've got something wrong or just remaining corrosion makes some of the needles oversize; I'd have thought after all this time it would have some play due to wear.

There must be a proper way to disassemble and reassemble it and I'm sure that is not what I did. There was a sort of collar anchoring the bearing strips against the outer sleeve which was a real problem.

Does anyone have any info on this seatpost and or experience on how to maintain properly? I can't find anything or any spares for it online. It has occurred to me that if I measured the needle roller strips I might be able to purchase replacements from a bearing supplier. But, unless I know the right way to take it apart I'm loathe to have another go as I think I'm likely to damage it beyond repair next time. At the moment it sort of functions and might do me for a few years.

Sorry I didn't take any photos as I was having such an ordeal with it I didn't think to.

Any help would be grateful; even if only other forums I could try.

Phil

IdahoBrett

I did a search and found…nothing. I only looked for ten minutes though.

You could message the folks at cannondaleexperts.com they have some hard to find parts for older bikes. Another forum with a larger audience that may yield someone with knowledge is; bikeforums.net.

If Cannondale had a catchy name for it like “lefty” or ”headshok” that would help filter a search result. Too bad it doesn’t as far as I could tell by viewing the catalog.

I know next to nothing compared to many on this site. So maybe someone with knowledge will chime in….

Cheers

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have not seen one of those posts so can't help but the strips of roller bearings do sound similar to a Headshok. Bikewagon has had lots of Cannondale parts listed on eBay including Headshok bearings.