Cannondale Silk Tour 2000 any info please?

Jonrb

Hi All, I've just acquired the above as a rolling chassis, but i'm struggling to find any information that will help me to put it back together, original spec, paint etc. Its a CAD2 frame with Headshock Forks and has Silk Tour 2000 transfers which appear to be original. On the the underside of the BB it has date code 'IG' which I understand to be July 1997 (please correct me if I'm wrong), yet I can't find the model listed in any Catalogue around that time. Hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction please?
Also, as there is no chainset with it, was hoping to replace the old square taper BB with Shimano Hollowtech BB and use a road triple or compact chainset, both of which I have in my parts bin. Unfortunately, the crank arms on both touch the wide chainstays on both sides. I guess that means going with an MTB crank, XT or similar? Any thoughts please? I'm not aiming for originality, just a working bike that I can ride now and restore at my leisure. Thanks. Jon

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Hi Jon,

I couldn't find a ST2000 in any of the USA catalogs. We see a lot of European Cannondales that don't match US spec. From your information I'd guess you have a Euro spec 1998 model. The Silk Tour frames started in the USA with the 1998 TS700 and ended with the 2000 Silk Tour 800. I think all the tandems in that era used Coda cranks which I suspect used square taper bottom brackets, but I don't own one so don't know for sure. If you have already tried the longest Octalink bottom bracket (118 or 118.5 mm depending on spline type) it's probably easiest to stick with a square taper crank. There are some wider spaced modern hollow spindle/outboard bearing cranks out there. I have doubles on hand by FSA and Control Tech that are wide spaced. I haven't checked inside of arm face to inside of arm face distance but I could do that if needed. I think the simplest thing to do is to stick with a 110 mm bolt circle square taper crank. Lots of ring and spindle length options are available.

Jonrb

OK, thanks for that, makes sense that it would be Euro spec - will have to do some more Googling on that one unless you are able to point me in the right direction? I work as a bike mechanic, so have access to parts, to take measurements etc, (but thanks for the offer). I was hoping to go with Hollowtech as I have plenty of spare cranks at home, but sounds like I may be better off sticking with square taper as you suggest.