Cannondale Pannier Hooks

Nani

Hello vintage Cannondale community. My name is Nani and I'm an old fart from Norfolk VA. I'm into early 90's Cannondale Touring Bikes: T600, T700, T1000, etc. I like finding old ones and rebuilding them with racks, fenders, and old school Cannondale Panniers; the ideal rig to go across country.
I have yet to find a good source for the bottom hooks that the old-school panniers would hook on to. (Spring mechanism latches onto the j-hook). That flat metal j-hook is 3/8" wide, 5/8" tall, and about a 3/16" dia. hole. Here is a picture of it along with a 5mm bolt and nut. I have found a flat hook (Suncor stainless S3715-0000)... but its too long. https://www.bosunsupplies.com/S3715-0000.html
Anyway... looking for any ideas. Thanks. (I could use like a 100 of these.)
upload_2021-11-5_17-44-4.png

upload_2021-11-5_17-44-4.png

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I would go to your local hardware store. There are hooks just like this for automotive. I just bought some just like that with black rubber on the edges. You might be able to buy bulk online...

Nani

Thanks for the replies. Here is another question: do Shimano 105 STI dual brake shifters have a friction mode (non-indexed)?
I just bought a 1994 T700 off of Craigslist. The former owner updated the shifting to a Shimano 105 STI dual brake shifter set and increased the rear gearing to an 8 speed R/ah Cassette (vs. Bar End Shifters and the original 7-speed Shimano Hyperglide set up). I prefer bar-end shifters, so am in the process of reinstalling a set of microshifters. Before I do all this, can you flip the STIs back to friction mode? Thank you. - Nani

black lightning 1987

Staff member
No friction mode with STI shifters. That's one of the advantages of bar ends for touring bikes. If something gets out of true you can switch to friction mode and ride on. Also if an STI shifter fails, you are going to be stuck in one gear.

arnieom

Black Lightening: I'm pre-novice at these. I have a Vintage 1997 Cannondale F900. Being I have no car as yet (ordered a 2023 Chevy e-Bolt in Aug 2022. HUGE backorder on that vehicle to say the least!), My BeeCool e-bike is prone to excessive flat in spite of my adding kevlar rim guards. My Cannondale is much more reliable for sure! I use my Cannondale for grocery shopping. A dear friend (whom is a long distance bicycle rider Coast to Coast!) recommended a panniers for shopping. What kind of rear bike rack for my bike along with size of Pannier bags (guess the would be two (2) is suitable. It is no more than 15 mile round trip to gym and grocery store. I am in Southeast Florida so whether is pretty good for bicycles. Thanks for your concern. Grateful~Arnold

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Rear racks are generally pretty adaptable to various frames. I have a 1997 F frame so can see if I have something to recommend. I really do like the Jannd pannier bags for groceries. They are made to fit traditional paper grocery bags which should give you an idea about size.

arnieom

Rear racks are generally pretty adaptable to various frames. I have a 1997 F frame so can see if I have something to recommend. I really do like the Jannd pannier bags for groceries. They are made to fit traditional paper grocery bags which should give you an idea about size.
Sorry for delay. Thanks for your input and recommendations. Grateful Just observed your post alert in my email this morning. I like your choice in Jandd paneer grocery bags because they are mesh (in Southeast Florida ya never know when its going to rain. That said I was attracted to: https://lonepeakpacks.com/product/grocery-bag-pannier/ because MADE IN USA. They also offered me exchange in hardware if 10mm did not fit. BTW: 1997 vintage Cannondale F900 is also MADE IN USA. Also gave me a 20% discount on price for being senior/veteran. For the rear rack I went with Cycling Kinetics Cannondale Mountain Bike Rear Pannier Carrier Cargo RackYear: 1997Model: Cannondale F900. I liked that website asked for exact make and model number. https://www.cyclingkinetics.com/4394745942/orders/95369cfec5dd72189a1e37d8f8ecc056

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Made in USA is always a plus if that's where you live. The Lone Peak bags look fine but with no experience with them that's all I can contribute. Let us know how the rack works out.

Trailmix

Hello vintage Cannondale community. My name is Nani and I'm an old fart from Norfolk VA. I'm into early 90's Cannondale Touring Bikes: T600, T700, T1000, etc. I like finding old ones and rebuilding them with racks, fenders, and old school Cannondale Panniers; the ideal rig to go across country.
I have yet to find a good source for the bottom hooks that the old-school panniers would hook on to. (Spring mechanism latches onto the j-hook). That flat metal j-hook is 3/8" wide, 5/8" tall, and about a 3/16" dia. hole. Here is a picture of it along with a 5mm bolt and nut. I have found a flat hook (Suncor stainless S3715-0000)... but its too long. https://www.bosunsupplies.com/S3715-0000.html
Anyway... looking for any ideas. Thanks. (I could use like a 100 of these.)View attachment 7827

View attachment 7827
I love old Cannondale touring rigs, care to share some photos?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I looked around for pics of some of the others but didn't find any on this computer. I have a red 1988 ST700, a Continental Blue 1985 ST400, and one I'm not sure of, I bought it as a frameset and the color looks closest to 1985 Rose (see SR500) but that color doesn't show as offered on the touring frames. I briefly owned a black 1988 ST400 but a friend wanted it so I passed it along to him.