Cannondale F1000 (Year/Edition?)

Morgoth

Hey Community!

Bought this one for $130.

It's not in best shape, but it rides great and the components work great as well.

There are components missing, as you can see in the pictures.

Both shifters for the front- and back-derailleur, as well as the only break lever are on the left hand side of the handlebar.

I am planning on swapping both shifters for two Shimano XTs and I've been looking online for an additional Avid SD-2.0L (red) for the right hand side.

What do you think about this Cannondale?
What year was it made?
What's the name of the edition?
Which parts would you suggest me to acquire in order to restore/improve it?

Attachments

• CF1000-1.jpg
    CF1000-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • CF1000-2.jpg
    CF1000-2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 105
  • CF1000-3.jpg
    CF1000-3.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 87
  • CF1000-4.jpg
    CF1000-4.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 84
  • CF1000-5.jpg
    CF1000-5.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 99

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Guessing it's a 1998 though black isn't shown in the catalog on an F1000. Believe the F1000 only had the CAAD3 frame in 1997 and 1998. Check the two letter code stamped in the BB shell for the build date. I would just try to find the matching brake lever and XT shifters and ride it as is. Great find for $130.

Morgoth

@Black Ligtning 1987

Last couple of days I tried really hard to find a matching lever, but without much success.

What I found out tough, was, that the lever is as vintage as the bike itself.

As for the XT Shifters, which one exactly would you suggest for a 3x9 Derailleur?

It appears to be a Dember 1998 Frame (J/L)

I checked out the 1998 Catalog as well, but could not find it either.

Attachments

• CF100Serial.jpeg
    CF100Serial.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Probably would be easier to find a pair of Shimano V brake levers. I have plenty of inexpensive new Tektro levers, which work fine.

Believe XT 9 speed was M750, M760, M765, and M770. Any would work but if you want to match them, check the numbers on your derailleurs (stamped in back side). Some of the shifters had integrated V brake levers, so you could go that route as well.

Morgoth

Probably would be easier to find a pair of Shimano V brake levers. I have plenty of inexpensive new Tektro levers, which work fine.

Believe XT 9 speed was M750, M760, M765, and M770. Any would work but if you want to match them, check the numbers on your derailleurs (stamped in back side). Some of the shifters had integrated V brake levers, so you could go that route as well.

Great! Didn't know that ...

I'll check the Serial on the Derailleurs.

The Back Derailleur reads RD M750 VIA
The Front Derailleur reads RM M738 VIA

Don't know what to make of this setup.

They don't appear to be from the same set.

Last edited:

JohnnyD

From my own experience, the front should work just fine with a any Shimano 3x front crankset. I've used my 1992 vintage Deore LX M550 front derailleur to shift a 3x setup on both an LX M580 crankset and a Deore M590.
It's crazy to think that a front derailleur that came with a friction thumb shifter from 1992 work flawlessly with an indexed shifter made nearly 20 years later.
The gear spacing on 7-9 speed rear cassettes didn't change over the years. I've gotten my old M550 rear derailleur to even shift out to 8 gear on an 9 speed cassette. If there was a tiny bit more adjustment on the L screw I am pretty sure I could have gotten it to work on the 11-32T M770 cassette. Of course I only did it as an experiment , so I don't use that setup. The good old M700 is all Deore LX M580 except for the Magura HS33 rim brakes and the wheels. I do have a set of M580 hubs though, but they are centerlock disc, so I saw no point in putting them on the M700.