Cannondale CAD3 road bike fork with headshok crack

Dina

My Cannondale CAD3 road bike has a crack in the fork (which has a headshok). Where can I find a replacement? Would a normal fork do? What dimensions should the replacement be (or how can I find this information out?)
It is a nice bike, and it is a pity it has to sit unused because of this crack. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
bike2.jpg
bike.jpg
bike2.jpg
bike.jpg

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, sadly. It is over for this fork.

option 1: replace with converter and new fork.
option 2: (your call) You could have somebody take away the paint in the crack area, and weld up the crack. But it would be prone to crack again. You would need to ride light on it. I have done this with a frame (Headtube) from 1997 cracked in 2000. I still have it..

Very sad. and sorry this happened...

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would keep an eye out for another Silk Road frameset. I've purchased three on eBay that were not very expensive. Looks like you have a dent in the top tube, so that combined with the cracked fork make a frameset the way to go. I could part with one of my framesets but I'd guess that the shipping cost would be prohibitive.

Dina

Hello, sadly. It is over for this fork.

option 1: replace with converter and new fork.
option 2: (your call) You could have somebody take away the paint in the crack area, and weld up the crack. But it would be prone to crack again. You would need to ride light on it. I have done this with a frame (Headtube) from 1997 cracked in 2000. I still have it..

Very sad. and sorry this happened...
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you happen to know how I can tell which converter size or model would work for this bike? Thank you.

Dina

I would keep an eye out for another Silk Road frameset. I've purchased three on eBay that were not very expensive. Looks like you have a dent in the top tube, so that combined with the cracked fork make a frameset the way to go. I could part with one of my framesets but I'd guess that the shipping cost would be prohibitive.
Thank you for your reply. I guess that would amount to changing the whole bike.. and I am not sure whether the dent really affects the bike’s performance so much, or there some issue I am unaware of?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Thank you for your reply. I guess that would amount to changing the whole bike.. and I am not sure whether the dent really affects the bike’s performance so much, or there some issue I am unaware of?
I would not worry about the dent, other than keeping an eye on the dented area in case cracks develop. I don't think it is very likely that the dent will be problem. More to my point - you may be able to find a frame and fork for sale that won't cost you much more than a fork alone.