Cannondale Black Lightning - YEAR?

Florinator

Hello everyone,
I was lucky to get my hands on a almost new Cannondale Black Lightning Limited Edition with a complete golden Campagnolo Record 10 speed group, golden Cannondale Neutron wheels and nice Hollowgramm cranks... It rides like a razorblade and I love it, even though it's not my true size.
I would like to know more about it: Which year is it? How can I find out more details about it? Was the Campagnolo Group manufactured as a golden limited edition in Italy? Or did Cannondale put the gold on it?
Thanks in advance for any information! I could not find any in the catalogues or in the web...
Best,
Flo

FullSizeRender 145.jpg
FullSizeRender 142.jpg
FullSizeRender 143.jpg
FullSizeRender 144.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think the CAAD7 was only made in 2003. I'd be fairly certain that Campagnolo did the gold logos on the components. Cannondale may have added the decals on the rims. Nice find.

LooseCannon

I've seen 2002 posted for these. I don't think they were in the catalogs. They all seem to have their # our of 300 made on the rear chainstay. Beautiful bike! Post some pics after it gets a bath.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I should have said 2003 model year rather than "made in 2003". Like cars, new bike models are introduced in late summer for the upcoming year. So the CAAD7 Black Lightnings were probably brought out around August 2002, but I'd guess they were actually 2003 models. The CAAD7 frame was an all new design, unlike the CAAD5 and CAAD6 which were basically CAAD4 frames with headset and BB type changes. Seems unlikely that the CAAD7 would be brought out as a mid year introduction that wasn't in the catalog. Pete, could you check your serial number and tell us if it starts with an N or an O? The early Cannondale serial number system showed production date, but I'm wondering if the later systems showed model year.

Florinator

Thanks everyone for the help! I could not find the barcode with the serial number, so I will stick to your helpful information!
Since it´s not my framesize, I have decided to sell this beauty - please write me if you are interested. I'll be happy to send you more details and fotos.
Best,
Flo

CBL01.jpg

Jahi

Here is my #109 of #300;) I recently upgraded it with newer components, also more parts on my mind, I can easily compare to nowadays bikes.:)
CAAD7 2002.JPG