Can anyone help Id this frame ?

66cYv5wrsUd19KQU7

AF1QipNcYGqBRuK-8Gbk_UrDTXLX0snlfmqECfOyRMLZ

AF1QipNcYGqBRuK-8Gbk_UrDTXLX0snlfmqECfOyRMLZ

cciTUe0JwZVdt3Q5Gh05gNJdFjz-E_VDJMtYbSACWIi3F0f5mIgTnMqENlFnto9JbFpKbgYBTl7Jy0bFNul-Ol8djPlFFWvQMd-PknDHYO9-zCbmTQLBlDJDq36PU9kEv8p29sfnASx6_LAXPikW5UXOPkoIcCU_ASYWx_x23IoQH7FjhNCiyjEjS2XpCCcdhXca8-Z103v-1DBTbm4BMsDPKls15d37RMsQSWv6zOHfRKV6-EujaUKfMT7aw2j8hP5-aBF1IT5P_RRrWICwbAWW2YS0NcIx-TWP5BH4boNeBdEVDOZ_nbfuBXvE7PtzDpq8HN2xAzReeZwS7qWnSVSsf8j65yTHZdLMXbsk6Zxoxwbxzf2EajR3GjPa7sXfwyHtG-gge6BQtyl4qBfqEEMdsiF1px5avkEDkGnzecUj5Egs4X30ZtOm_a9XVC-BQza6dDo2E_HgyV9wAfz-cJCZdeNUAX-p69MDRfp-gtaFeZ1cDQ2yH6ILiSDMktfuCimAbnYNQ5qFGx-Dqhtdw65B-h-p_GOJSlvLLJs-HkKK71bscoZNZ_93P1YPgU8JMZTJ64Q1e5zvyjV6Y0OHOPwtEEa2DrmDqL6mi7beCbgFJOM4DRb5gBHhdVjVkZOCS3W1pfVo3tnmh_i8K_eIiz9RYess-n-d5sWSzHvytPFOwei6E_n7KYk80v_jC58esc1fYS1gs-PvacjUQOcxktTr=w1179-h884-no

https://photos.app.goo.gl/66cYv5wrsUd19KQU7
Its been powered coated and the serial numbers are not clear, this is as best as I can make out...

1654. 0302. 62578
??

218212. 7XLA5WL
? ? ?

Question marks under figures that are not clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'd say it's a Super V from around 1998. There should be a 2 letter code indicating year and month of build. Can be under cable guide if there is one. See this page and look at the 1993-2001 sections.

https://vintagecannondale.com/info/serial_numbers/

Close up pic of headset parts may help identify whether it had a Moto fork or a headshok. That will narrow down the possible models a bit.

IMG_20190511_181111.jpg

Just a big ally bushing in there.

The codes I can make out just don't tally with the website.

Last edited:

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like those are adapter cups inside. It is up to you how you will restore it, and what fork you choose. This would originally had a Headshox. Depending on what year and what model. And I agree, 97/98.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It looks like those are adapter cups inside. It is up to you how you will restore it, and what fork you choose. This would originally had a Headshox. Depending on what year and what model. And I agree, 97/98.

Would a Headshok frame have had a different head tube than a Moto frame?

There was a SV500 in 1997 that came with a Rockshox Quadra 5 fork. I'd think those adapter cups could be original.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I was guessing based on what Brian had said. I would measure the ID and see if it's 34 mm. If so you should be able to install standard external cups directly in them. The SV500 I mentioned looks like it has an adapter cup on the bottom that spaces the bottom of the head tube up from the fork crown. I can't tell from the picture if it's one piece or two. You may have 34 mm ID on top and something bigger on the bottom.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
How do I get from those cups to a standard 1 -1/8 " fork ?

It depends on what your plan for the restoration is. Those cups could be original. But if you are going for a modern ride, modern parts. You would tap those cups out and get a new adapter set. If you are going for a new fork, they are all tapered. There are adapter cups for that. Just remember, this frame was probably designed for a 80mm-100mm fork. If you are going for a vintage ride with a headshox. You will need to pop out the cups, and get a headshox with cups and bearings. And same thing, there are versions of the headshox. 50mm-80mm. We can help you get this back on the road... or dirt. :)

I am just going to get it back on the road with parts I have, nothing fancy, bog standard Suntour MTB forks with straight tube, a single front chainring, v brakes.

I make all my bikes from salvaged parts from thrown away or scrapped bikes, I go for functional rather than high spec, if it doesn't fit I make it fit ! Probably horrify a bike purist but I've never bought a bike in my life.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Best is to strip everything down, and plan your build. The best feeling is when you get it on wheels. Finding a fork will be tough. Even a straight 1 1/8th is getting harder to find. Depending on how you build it. If you go modern, there are tapered headsets out there.