CAAD9 Restomod

JohnnyD

I just looked over the pictures again.. Did you say 7.3 kg??? That's something like 16 lbs...OH how I wish my M700 could weigh that little!

FPrue1304

Thank you. I was also pleasantly surprised, since I was using only a few lightweight parts, but nothing to the extreme. You could shave off 0.3 or so with a dedicated lightweight wheel set. But it’s a road bike! No way to reach that with a Mountainbike (M…).

JohnnyD

Thank you. I was also pleasantly surprised, since I was using only a few lightweight parts, but nothing to the extreme. You could shave off 0.3 or so with a dedicated lightweight wheel set. But it’s a road bike! No way to reach that with a Mountainbike (M…).

Don't I know it.. I think my m700 is just a tad over 30 lbs. I've never really had the urge to actually weigh it, for me it just means a better workout pedaling all that weight uphill!

JohnnyD

Now that you mention it, I kind of recall that was what the dealer claimed it weighed..I've never weighed it though. I'm sure it's heavier than it was way back then. I've got some very heavy tubes in the tires, plus I usually have a rack installed on the back to carry stuff when I just ride around town. Compared to 16 lbs. it's a tank!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I've forgotten the year of your bike, but 25 lbs. was pretty light for a MTB in 1995. Do you have some of those 3/16" thick tubes for thorn protection? I have a bunch of them on hand, can't remember the brand but they must weigh close to a pound each. I have only used one - can't remember what bike it's on but I haven't needed to patch it so far.

JohnnyD

I've forgotten the year of your bike, but 25 lbs. was pretty light for a MTB in 1995. Do you have some of those 3/16" thick tubes for thorn protection? I have a bunch of them on hand, can't remember the brand but they must weigh close to a pound each. I have only used one - can't remember what bike it's on but I haven't needed to patch it so far.
The bike is a '92. and you hit the nail on the head with the tubes. They were Q'tubes but they are now shipping with Teravail branding.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I should weigh my '92 DV900 and see how it compares. Headshok adds a bit of weight compared to a rigid bike but not a lot. Build is the biggest contributor to weight of bike builds, assuming a decent quality frameset.

JohnnyD

I should weigh my '92 DV900 and see how it compares. Headshok adds a bit of weight compared to a rigid bike but not a lot. Build is the biggest contributor to weight of bike builds, assuming a decent quality frameset.
That makes sense. Good thing I am not weight conscience about my bikes.
FYI, the catalog says 25.5 lbs for a M700 in 1992