CAAD4 ... thinking about buying

woof

came across a caad4 in beautiful condition. Doubt it has more than 1000 miles and may have original tires in serviceable condition. A couple of paint chips, no dents. Otherwise paint is perfect. Saddle is a crap non oem gel seat.

Grey in color, no R decal on the top tube, triple crank, cane creek headset, has blue anodized cxp23 rims, coda stem and brakes, and is Shimano 105 throughout. The odd man out here is a Reynolds carbon fork... was this ever used in any build? Given the 105, might it have been an add? But then how to account for the Triple crank?

Narrowing in on it, it has that same format serial, and I have not bought it, so can’t pull the fairlead off for a full serial.

Thinking it is a nice 2000 CAAD 4 with nice low key paint job.

The bike shop wants 499.00 for it. Thoughts?

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Sounds like a 2000 R800T that got special paint. The blue CXP 23s were only offered in 2000, and the 105 triple and Coda parts are correct for an R800T. There were a couple of grey fades in 1999, but they were both on R1000s which were CAAD3s. The Reynolds fork was never offered on a factory built bike as far as I know but is one of the best forks of the era. It would fetch pretty good money on eBay, especially if it's on a big frame. The only 1" Reynolds fork on ebay right now is priced at $175, and this one sold for $366.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reynolds-Ouzo-Pro-carbon-road-fork-700c-1-inch-steerer-Excellent-Condition-/293178916136?hash=item4442d33d28:g:J-0AAOSwhktdSNFm&nma=true&si=JlCZXAP%2BORjordnFZm46EmgYdxU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would think it's worth $500 but most complete CAAD4s have been selling in the $350 range. This R800T sold for under $250 but was for local pickup which always hurts price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannondale-R800-Triple-Road-Bike-Blue-Local-Pickup-Only-CAAD4-27-Speed-62cm-/133102132144?hash=item1efd815bb0:g:xT0AAOSwiStdG706&nma=true&si=JlCZXAP%2BORjordnFZm46EmgYdxU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

woof

The fork looks precisely like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reynolds-O...507987?hash=item3652dde5d3:g:plIAAOSw62xdXLao

>> especially if it's on a big frame

56 cm. Do you mean it would help the bike sell for more, or separately it would sell for a lot.

My comment here is that if I could find a nice Slice in black for the period - obviously since we are talking 1", I would consider selling this fork. it is very, very narrow. I can see getting 25mm tires in it, but not 28mm. Do the Cannondale 1" forks come up with any regularity? General price range?

I think you nailed the version - 2000 R800T. You mentioned "special paint." Tell me more. Was it possible to order special paint? It came in "team" blue and mustard.

>> most complete CAAD4s have been selling in the $350 range.

Yep. That figures. But then again, no shipping, etc.. I'll probably let this go... Hard to do. The thing is very nearly bone stock and it if has 500 miles on it, I'd be surprised. I do love vintage bikes. I have a CAAD4, but it is not as clean as this one.

The number of bikes you "need" is always: The number of bikes you have... + 1. ;-)

Woof!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I meant that the fork would bring good money on its own. I haven't looked for a Slice fork specifically. Last Cannondale fork I bought came off Synapse. I met the guy on a street corner in Chicago and gave him $50 for it. I'd expect to pay more for almost any 1" fork in similar condition. You may be right about tire size. I have a few Reynolds forks, not sure if any of them have 28s fitted. I'm thinking my CAAD3 R4000 has a Reynolds fork, will have to check. I know I've run 28 mm Continentals on it but they are not the biggest 28s out there.

I don't know that special paint could be ordered by individuals. I have a CAAD5 and an Optimo that have special paint. Both were team frames for local teams in the LA area. Presumably you could go into a dealer and special order frames if you met a minimum quantity.

woof

Hey, thanks...

The tech spec for CXP23 is here: https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/products/2_109.pdf This is also a nice resource for more Mavic: http://www.tearsforgears.com/2011/12/different-mavic-cxp-rims.html

Looks like recommended tire width has a max of 28MM. So "not the biggest 28s" is probably a good thing. On the other hand, various sources on the web seem to indicate 25mm is max size for some generatio0ns of this fork. This is a first generation Reynolds Ouzo Pro carbon based on the green in the logo. It was already looking like 6mm per side with 23mm tires. Not really something I'd want to entertain.

I'd probably go 25mm anyway, so no hurry. Will likely let this one go, but for reference purposes since I am likely to encounter 19mm rims, and would kind of want to know. I have a CAAD4, and it's going to need vintage wheels, so...

Your impressions of running 28mm on 19.3 will also be valuable. My experience with running things at boundaries is usually that there is room for error, so it is ok, but usually not optimal.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would have to look around and measure the rims on which I have 28 mm tires. I'd guess that I have run 28s on rims of 19 mm or so. The tightest clearance point is usually the brake caliper or the underside of the fork crown, that is to say circumference rather than width. I suspect that a wider rim would increase clearance in most cases, but I've never taken time to verify that.