Black lightning paint

black lightning 1987

Staff member
My '87 has a bit of fine metallic in the factory finish. Guessing it's in the clearcoat but don't know for sure. I'd run the question by some good painters: Joe Bell, Keith Anderson, Allan Wanta, CycleArt, etc.

C0nejit09

My '87 has a bit of fine metallic in the factory finish. Guessing it's in the clearcoat but don't know for sure. I'd run the question by some good painters: Joe Bell, Keith Anderson, Allan Wanta, CycleArt, etc.

Yes I came close to using a jet black touch up by I'll do a bit more of research..thanks

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Interested in what you find out. I have a 3.0 MTB frameset that I need to get painted. It's going to be a reproduction of my stolen 1989 SM800, which came with pretty much the same paint and decals as the Black Lightning. Interesting that the 1989 catalog lists the Black Lightning color as Ebony and the SM800 as black. The 1987 Black Lightning was listed as black, don't know if the paint changed over the years or not.

petergt4

Interested in what you find out. I have a 3.0 MTB frameset that I need to get painted. It's going to be a reproduction of my stolen 1989 SM800, which came with pretty much the same paint and decals as the Black Lightning. Interesting that the 1989 catalog lists the Black Lightning color as Ebony and the SM800 as black. The 1987 Black Lightning was listed as black, don't know if the paint changed over the years or not.

The Pepperoni forks on my Killer V are a fine metallic black. I was always impressed with it, that they would go to such lengths to not just use plain black but this subtle metallic black. It's probably the same as used on the Black Lightning. I could never get a good photo of it though, but to my eyes, it seems they used a pearlescent metallic with a heavy, black tinted clearcoat over top of it.

Chuck

You might want to try 2008-2009 Jeep Patriot black touchup paint. When I looked at one at the dealership it had a slight silver flake in it. While I could not directly compare it to my 1988 Black Lightning it appeared to be a good match. Like the original Cannondale paint the effect is subtle until you look closely.

petergt4

You might want to try 2008-2009 Jeep Patriot black touchup paint. When I looked at one at the dealership it had a slight silver flake in it. While I could not directly compare it to my 1988 Black Lightning it appeared to be a good match. Like the original Cannondale paint the effect is subtle until you look closely.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did source out an automotive supplier of paint.