'Best' years for vintage Cannondale touring bikes?

echoplex

Ah, I hadn't noticed that the '97 T2000 was 8s... So going to 8 or 9 is just a matter of a new cassette (& shifter, of course)? The Acera freehub should accommodate?

I don't think there's any way to re-route/rearrange the shifter cables from the levers to make getting in and out of a handlebar bag workable- they're going to be in the way one way or another... I usually ride on the hoods, and with the (very) hilly local terrain I shift A LOT, which was why I've come to appreciate the brifters.... Are there Shimano-compatible alternative brands that route the shifter cables under the tape (and are 7, 8 or 9)? But really, it kind of looks like bar cons might be the simplest solution for now. And I see there are some NOS Dia-Compe levers like the T2000 had on eBay for cheap (though I don't know how ergo/comfortable they'll be....).

Again, thx for the wealth of info!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Best way to be sure about the hub would be to pull the cassette. If there's a 4.5 mm spacer behind the cassette, the hub should be 8/9/10 compatible.

Shimano Claris 8 speed STI is probably your best bet for shifters other than bar ends.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=96277

For bar cons, I like Tektro or Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers. The Cane Creeks seem to be out of production now. They are virtually the same shape as Campagnolo 9/10 era Ergo levers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164911973295?epid=2100098217&hash=item26658503af:g:GowAAOSwWZdhDko5

Shimano BR400 are pretty close to the same shape they made in the late 80s-1990s.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=6373&category=669

If you end up going to 8 speed, I have a bunch of SRAM 8 speed cassettes, 11-30 I think.

echoplex

Of course I had to sign up on pace line now, too!

Hmm, interesting. I did find a photo of someone using 'noodles' to clear a handlebar bag.. I'm not sure I've got the clearance for either, but may be worth a try.. The Gevenelle levers/shifters are kind of interesting, though not cheap, and it's hard to tell if they'd really actually get the cables out of the way. But they'd keep the shifting where I've become accustomed to and use a simpler mechanism..

As for the cog/cassette...... Rats. No spacer. Does that mean if I want to go to 8 I need a new freehub body? Or a whole new hub (wheel..)? Or the Sheldon Brown 9s as 8...?

echoplex

Hmmm, now the v-brake noodle solution looks like the cheapest/easiest and might just give me the clearance I need... Makes more sense to try it before new levers, shifters, etc....

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Did you take the cassette off? 8/9/10 freehub bodies measure about 1.41" (35.8 mm) from the ledge that the cassette seats on to the outside end.

echoplex

I had it off, now it's cleaned, lubed and back on! Maybe I'll take it off again tomorrow and measure to know for sure... But if I can get the v-brake noodle (ordered..) thing to work, I'll stick with the RSX levers and the 7 speed for now.

echoplex

Nineva br 2.jpg

echoplex

IMG_5230.jpg

The brake noodle solution to handlebar bag/STI cable clearance seems to have worked a treat, at least pedaling around the yard to test things out. Just enough clearance for the bag and keeps the cables out of the way of opening it. The 7sp system lives on...

Last edited:

JohnnyD

I never for the life of me would have thought to use v-brake noodles to do that. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I never for the life of me would have thought to use v-brake noodles to do that. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I wouldn't have either. Nor would have I thought it possible to bend the housing around and get it under the tape while remaining decent looking. It's great to be able to see what folks have tried without taking the time to do it on our own.

JohnnyD

I wouldn't have either. Nor would have I thought it possible to bend the housing around and get it under the tape while remaining decent looking. It's great to be able to see what folks have tried without taking the time to do it on our own.
You couldn't have said it better.