'90s splatter paint technique

petergt4

Anybody ever repaint their bike using that '90s splatter paint pattern? If so, what was the technique that was used?

I'm contemplating doing a splatter paint job for my SE1000 project and would think that would be appropriate considering the era that the bike was from.

I suppose that dipping a paint brush and then flicking it at a distance would give that effect? I haven't tried it yet on a sample.

Thoughts/examples?

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly, I think it is an art that may be lost. This is why the value of the SE2000 is value if the paint is good. that space pattern is very hard to replicate. lucky for the SE1000... standard silver. :)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think your idea with the brush would work. Will probably take some experimenting to get the paint:thinner ratio just right. It's got to be thin enough to flow off the brush in drops, but thick enough not to run on the tubes.

You might ask John Slawta at Landshark bicycles. I can't imagine that there's a painting technique that he hasn't done.

petergt4

Sadly, I think it is an art that may be lost. This is why the value of the SE2000 is value if the paint is good. that space pattern is very hard to replicate. lucky for the SE1000... standard silver. :)

I’ll give it a try. Right from the start I was not thinking of the silver.

petergt4

I think your idea with the brush would work. Will probably take some experimenting to get the paint:thinner ratio just right. It's got to be thin enough to flow off the brush in drops, but thick enough not to run on the tubes.

You might ask John Slawta at Landshark bicycles. I can't imagine that there's a painting technique that he hasn't done.

Thanks for the lead about John.

I tried a sample just doing over spray with a contrasting colour and I was quite surprised how nice it looked.

chumaman

;)can not beat the lizard
cannondale.jpg

chumaman

Cannondale-Pepperoni-MTB-Fork-1-Inch-1.jpg

Cannondale-Pepperoni-MTB-Fork-1-Inch-2.jpg

There are no bad :p:eek: splatted techniques with
Uni Posca Paint Marker Pens Fluorescent /Green
then transparent coating :)

Last edited:

chumaman

I did not do anything yet:(
in the learning process itself ;) since I saw a custom paint Killer
and at the same time I was close to the SM 800 orange splatted
cannondale-sm800-slika-98068800.jpg

but I give it up ....S frame :(....and would gladly green:)
at the same time my goal is to edit the collection
reduce the number of M frame types (4 now) to 3 keeper :rolleyes: M 1000...M 800....and one splatted M custom paint or not ;)
and V frame add another (now 2) Delta , Killer .....and the last one I want in the collection 1998 Cannondale Killer V 800 Green :)
So much about fever :p
1998-Cannondale-Killer-V-800.jpg

Last edited: