7 Speed hub to 8-11 speed conversion

JohnnyD

After much debate I decided to try out converting my 1997 era Deore Acera-X M290 7 speed hub to 8-11 speed. That way I can reuse my old tried and true 1992 Ritchey Wheels from my M700. Anyone else swap out the freehub assy on an older 7 speed olnly hub?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Is that freehub body narrower than 8-10?. I would have guessed that by 1997 it was the same and just used a spacer behind the cassette for 7 speed.

Sounds like you may be building a new wheel. Might be simpler to locate an 8/9 hub of the desired width.

JohnnyD

I am going to attempt to build up a new wheels for my M700. They are the final piece to completing my Deore LX M580 groupset on that bike(I have the brake levers too, but don't use them). I just picked up a very good condition used M580 11-32T cassette off of e-bay. Until then I need a way to run the 9 speed cassette on the bike. The M290 free hub is narrower and limited to 7 speed max, so I picked up a NOS MC18 8-10 speed free hub off of e-bay for great deal.
Everything fit just fine late last night, so I am able to reuse my older worn wheels that came on the M700 and not have to swap wheels with the Delta V when I want to ride it.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Sounds like you have it under control. I have a bunch of Shimano MTB hubs here but have always found it hard to swap parts when I've needed to. For example, cone diameters can vary by tenths of a mm even though the hubs have the same diameter axle. Glad you found what you needed.

JohnnyD

I did "cheat" a little and do my research on the Shimano docs website to maker sure the cone diameters were the same. I've always disliked that Shimano doesn't create a real "parts interchangeability" listing for legacy parts, or even a superseded by parts listing. It might just be me the thinks its a crappy business practice to change part #'s on things between models/generations like the they do. For example Deore DX FH-M650 free hub assy part # is 32E 9801 and the Deore LX FH-M550 parrt # is 32H 9801.. They are for all intents and purposes the EXACT same hub assy. STUPID STUPID STUPID..
I guess when your business model is to only really support your current product line up for a year or two before "expecting" your customers to throw away something to by the "latest and greatest" it makes a little bit of sense. On second thought, it is still STUPID..

Todder

Has anyone gone from 6 speed freewheel to 9 speed cassette? Guess Dura-Ace SL-7700s will work but more $ than my entire ST400 cost. Did 600/Ultegra/105 ever do an indexed downtube in 9 speed? I am seeing Sunrace R90 / R91 as compatible for ~$40 are they garbage?

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think the only 9 speed Shimano DT shifters were DuraAce. You might check into Microshift. I've seen their bar end shifters on some pretty nice new bikes. I'm not sure that they made 9 speed DT shifters but suspect they did.