1998 Cannondale F400

Jim Mitchell

Hi Folks, new guy here... this old bike is a little hard to get info on... when I flipped the bike, here is what I see below the pedals

JC3 19386
3105 N2GLG

I think JC3 indicates this is a 1998 build from March 3rd
3105 appears to be part of a six digit code, but there is a cable plate mounted over the rest
19386 appears to be the sequence code
N2GLG is a frame code..

Forgive my ignorance, but where can I cross reference these codes to get more intel on this bike?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I will have to look at my frames from that era, but I recall a two letter code for the build year and month, with no numeral for the day.

If you are pretty sure that it is a 1998 F400, you can download the catalog and see how your bike compares to the catalog description.

Jim Mitchell

upload_2020-9-8_10-34-13.png

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'm wondering if that could be a 1999 as 1998 came with a Rockshox Indy S fork. 1999 had a P Bone M fork, was Alivio/LX 8 speed with SRAM Centera shifters. Color looks right, though the yellow decals are shown on the Super Black version.

Jim Mitchell

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it!

my rear cassette is 7 speed with Shimano STX derailleur. Front is three. Shifters say 'power grip plus'

Maybe a mid year hybrid?

I got my first modern road bike with 700 tires and a rigid fork last week... suddenly I really appreciate the shock absorbing properties of the fat tires and front fork... wow, that road bike is bone jarring.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
1998 F400 was 7 speed and had the Power Grip Plus shifters, so maybe that's what you have. I can't explain the paint unless it's as you say and they switched the color before they changed to the 1999 components.

You may find that you get used to the ride of the road bike. Most find them to be rough riding at first. Wider tires can help the ride. Lots of road bikes will fit 28 mm tires even though they came with 23s. What's the bike?

They are kind of hard to find but Cannondale Silk Roads had a Headshok fork that absorbs a lot of shock. They were ridden by the Saeco team in Spring Classic events such as Paris-Roubaix. I have an original 1998 Silk Road 1000, a 1996 SR500 built up from a frameset with SRAM 2 x 10, and one nice later frameset unbuilt. What size do you ride?
SR500 Silk Road 900N.jpg

cannondale1.JPG
I will have to look at my frames from that era, but I recall a two letter code for the build year and month, with no numeral for the day.
If you are pretty sure that it is a 1998 F400, you can download the catalog and see how your bike compares to the catalog description.
Hi Jim,

I have a 1984 Cannondale Racer(serial # BB 0626), picture attached, which I would like to sell. I am a member of this site but cannot for the life of me figure out how to post my own message nor do I have any idea of the value. It has been responsibly stored. All components seem to be in working order. Could you help me here? Thanks. Paul
cannondale1.JPG

I have a 1984 Cannondale Racer which I would like to sell. Anybody out there like to make me an offer? The bike is in excellent condition and all components appear to be in good shape.
cannondale1.JPG