1997 Cannondale R200

black lightning 1987

Staff member
My guess is all CAAD2 road bikes are fairly rare. 1997 was the first year for the CAAD nomenclature on road frames. Only the R200 and R300 were CAAD2, the rest were CAAD3. In 1998 and 1999 the CAAD2 models were R300 and R500. That was the extent of CAAD2 road models. My take on production is that mid-line (105 and Ultegra) road bikes sold in the highest numbers and tapered off both above and below. That said, the upper level bikes will always be more in demand, even if more common. Every Cannondale fan wants an R4000, less are are interested in an R200. Bike looks really nice. I would guess $350 would be about the maximum you might get for it. You might get a bit more if you part it out.

Is it a 56 cm?

If you list it for sale somewhere, you are welcome to post a link here or in the classifieds:

http://community.vintagecannondale.com/forums/ebay-web-or-local-find.44/

With all due respect, there is reference to CAAD1 in the 1996 catalog.
I'm currently looking into an M200SE, which was a CAAD1 model.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't think there was ever a CAAD1 road frame though. In 1996 most if not all the road frames were the 2.8s, which had been introduced several years earlier. I think you could consider them to be CAAD1 but they were never badged that way. 1997 saw the introduction of CAAD3 and CAAD2 road frames.