1996 Cannondale Super V???? Active

jimwise68

Hi everyone,

I have a medium sized Viper Red framed/metallic black swingarm Super V.

I bought this from a woman, it was her husband's and doesnt look like it has been used much at all. It looks like it has just been bought new from a store. Tyres still have a few of the knobby bits on them.

The frame dictates it was made in March 1996.

The only decals on the bike are the Cannondale one on the downtube (yellow) and the Super V Active on the rear swingarm. So it looks exactly like a 1996 Super V Active 3000.

BUT, the spec and components make it a 1997 Super V700 (Shimano STX, CR-18 rims etc) but it doesnt have MC60 forks it has DD50 which came on a 1996 Super V1000????

Frame number on the bottom bracket is "6XCA5WM".
The code next to the date code is: B1-0302 05364"

I have checked through the catalogues and that is where I have made my deductions.

Can anyone throw any light on what it may exactly be or is it just a bike made from bits at the factory.

I've used it once (10 mile ride), but didn't really get on with it, looks like I prefer hard tails. Which is a shame because I have been after one for a while.

So I am looking to sell it but no idea on how to value it due to knowing exactly what it is.

Any help or input greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jim

Attachments

• 6207053E-D4D2-4AB5-9328-1316BF35D101.JPG
    6207053E-D4D2-4AB5-9328-1316BF35D101.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 235

black lightning 1987

Staff member
BI code would be February 1997 manufacture, so a 1997 model frame if BI rather than B1. I can't explain the 1996 decals unless perhaps someone at the factory got hold of an old set, or the bike was repainted. Is the fork in fact a DD50? It had 50 mm travel and a two position damping adjustment. 1997 forks would have had 60 or 70 mm travel.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
OK, so 1996 frame build date. Perhaps a frameset that hung around a dealer unsold, then built with parts swapped from a 1997 model. Closest 1996 model would be a SVA1000 but I doubt that you will find recent sales for comparison. I would look at recent sales of mid range Super Vs to get some kind of idea on price range, then bump your price up by 25-33% based on condition of your bike. The other route would be to part it out. Perhaps sell the components and wheels as a package for someone who has a 1997 frame.

jimwise68

Thanks for the reply BL. It affirms what I have been thinking over the last couple of days.I really didn't want to part it out as it is so original (or so I thought initially), but it does seem to be some kind of Frankenstein bike. Albeit in A1 condition.

It seems then as if it could be a 1996 SVA1000 frameset in Team Viper Red, as the 1996 SVA1000 bike only came in Matt Panama Blue with Barbeque Black Swingarm.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I couldn't begin to count the number of bikes that have showed up with paint that although appearing original, doesn't match the build or frame details. Those types of questions can probably only be answered by someone who was involved in the production of the bikes.

My guess is that you have a very original bike (down to the tires), as it came from the dealer. It's a shame that it doesn't suit you as you clearly value it. If you are not in a big hurry to move it, perhaps you can advertise it and wait around for a buyer who will keep it as it is and enjoy riding it.