1995 Cannondale m500 headset size and steerer tube length

TheBear1978

Greetings all,

I am reactivating and upgrading slightly my 1995 Cannondale m500 either with a view to either putting it up for sale or for keeping as a backup bike to my new-build in progress.

I am needing to know ASAP the definitive headset size (I have seen varying reports of it being both 1" and 1 1/8") and steerer tube length for the Pepporoni forks; mine is fitted with the Tioga Alchemy headset (threadless aheadset style).

It's a 20" frame but I will be fitting a set of period suspension forks (Judy SL XC's or Manitou 3's) and I have a few options but need the above confirmation to proceed, preferably including the recommended steerer tube length for a 20" frame,

I can't measure the frame myself as it is at home in the grage and I am offshore on a rig currently,

Cheers much appreciated

petergt4

It's 1 1/4".

Not much variety in today's market if you wanted to replace the whole headset. Chris King still makes one, but big $$$.

TheBear1978

It's 1 1/4".

Not much variety in today's market if you wanted to replace the whole headset. Chris King still makes one, but big $$$.

Ok thanks are you 100% on that, I was aware they did frames with 1.25" headtubes but thought that was earlier than 1995 ?

Last edited:

petergt4

Just going by what is presented in their catalog. Unless they changed mid-year, it appears to be 1 1/4”. My KV900 from ‘94 has 1 1/4”.

TheBear1978

Just going by what is presented in their catalog. Unless they changed mid-year, it appears to be 1 1/4”. My KV900 from ‘94 has 1 1/4”.

The headline size doesn't appear in the 1994 or the 1995 Cannondale catalogue I can find online ? Only the fact that it's an a headset (unspecified sealed steel/resin 1994 and Tioga a headset for 1995).

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I believe it's 1 1/8". I have a 1995 M900 here with the same 2.8 frame. I can pull the stem and measure if needed but really think it's 1 1/8".

TheBear1978

I believe it's 1 1/8". I have a 1995 M900 here with the same 2.8 frame. I can pull the stem and measure if needed but really think it's 1 1/8".

Hi there, finally got my builder to confirm that yes the headset is definitely 1 1/8", so although is looks larger/oversized its a fairly common size which makes things much easier. There was a time when the headtube were 1.25" but it was short-lived and it just shows you that don't believe everything you read on the internet I guess !

Thanks

petergt4

Hi there, finally got my builder to confirm that yes the headset is definitely 1 1/8", so although is looks larger/oversized its a fairly common size which makes things much easier. There was a time when the headtube were 1.25" but it was short-lived and it just shows you that don't believe everything you read on the internet I guess !

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
My 20" 1995 M900 came with a 220 mm steerer tube and 15mm of spacers. You might get by with a steerer as short as 200 mm depending on headset and stem.