1995 C600 headset size.....anyone?

Slomo

Anyone enlighten me on the headset size of a '95 C600 please?
I'm hoping it's ISO (1'' or 1 1/8'').
And i definitely want to avoid JIS sizing.
Given it was made in USA, i'm hoping it isn't JIS.
Many thanks in advance.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Pictures of the bike would be helpful. My 1995 catalog shows only two C series hybrids, and they are both Headshok models.

Does the fork have a threaded steerer? If so, you can loosen the top nut and measure the outside diameter of the steerer tube. Cannondale used 1", 1 1/8", and 1 1/4" threaded forks depending on year.

Regardless, the headset will not be JIS.

Slomo

C600.jpg
C600_1.jpg
Hi,
Many thanks for the response - reassuring that it's not JIS.
I didn't think it would be, but been caught out in the past.
I've attached a picture of the bike itself - and a picture from the 1995 PDF i have.
Threaded steerer - yes.
The seller seems less than inclined to determine the headset size.
When i asked if it had any markings relating to manufacturer or sizes his response was 'don't think so'.....
Thanks again - really appreciate it.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Where did you find that catalog page? It doesn't appear in my 1995 USA catalog.

I'm fairly certain that it will be a 1" headset. Cannondale generally used Tange Seiki ME-II headsets on the hybrid models in that era.

Slomo

Catalogue's are in the Retrobike.co.uk archive.
There are some gaps in years so i can't be 100% sure it is the exact same bike.
I tried attaching the PDF here, but it's too big.
Seller says the steerer is '22mm'.
99% sure it's 22.2mm - meaning 1'' headset.
The Tange headset worries me - i've had huge problems with JIS standard headsets.
Had to have frame/forks milled/reamed in the past becasue JIS standard headsets are just a headache.
The main reason i want an ISO headset is that you can buy ISO 1'' headsets with cartridge bearings.
Get fed up maintaining 'open' headsets - cartridge is just so much hassle free.

On another note - what do you reckon the rear spacing is - 130mm or 135mm?

700c wheels might suggest 130mm, but the cycling industry has more 'standards' than you can shake a stick at - last time i looked there were about 10 versions of 1'' headsets - surely an inch is an inch.....

Thanks again - look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Slomo

Catalogue's are in the Retrobike.co.uk archive.
There are some gaps in years so i can't be 100% sure it is the exact same bike.
I tried attaching the PDF here, but it's too big.
Seller says the steerer is '22mm'.
99% sure it's 22.2mm - meaning 1'' headset.
The Tange headset worries me - i've had huge problems with JIS standard headsets.
Had to have frame/forks milled/reamed in the past becasue JIS standard headsets are just a headache.
The main reason i want an ISO headset is that you can buy ISO 1'' headsets with cartridge bearings.
Get fed up maintaining 'open' headsets - cartridge is just so much hassle free.

On another note - what do you reckon the rear spacing is - 130mm or 135mm?

700c wheels might suggest 130mm, but the cycling industry has more 'standards' than you can shake a stick at - last time i looked there were about 10 versions of 1'' headsets - surely an inch is an inch.....

Thanks again - look forward to hearing your thoughts.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have never owned a hybrid Cannondale but the road, MTB, and touring frames I've seen all had ISO headsets. Tange made plenty of them with both standards.

Yes, 22.2 would be the stem diameter for a 1" headset.

I don't know about the rear spacing, have never had my hands on a hybrid. I've actually been looking for an SH600 or 800 for some time but they don't seem to be very common.

Thanks for the catalog source. I'm hoping there will be more Euro catalogs there than we have presently.

Slomo

Probably flogging a dead horse here, but.....
I might have been a year out.
According to BikePedia the C600 was only made in 1994.
I suspect that it's one of those things where bikes are released in one year, but considered another year's model.
I had a 2000 F700 that had a frame number from 1999.
Awesome bike - raced it for years - then an impatient car driver shunted me off the road and bent the back end up.
Still miss it, but decided against another due to headshock servicing problems in the UK.
Currently have a 1998 M400 - i love it - can ride it all day without any discomfort.
C600 1994.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I saw the C600 in the 1994 USA catalog, but the scan that you posted is clearly in the style of the 1995 catalog rather than the 1994. I haven't checked the catalog scans you linked but I'm guessing that you are looking at a 1995 model.