1993? M500 color identification?

zarky

So I've recently been getting back into mountain bikes and i've wanted the 90s cannondale I couldn't afford as a kid.
I can find frames in my size, but i fell in love with a (seemingly) one year, one model color that I just cannot find in my size, and I can't find any information on this color. I'd like to be able to replicate it with my own paint job on a different frame.

The most information I can find is in one sales brochure for 1993, and I think it's "Purple with blue pearl hyper-highlight (PPH)" and only on the M500, but i cant find any confirmation, and i can't find a paint recipe.

Can any of you all help me match this color so I can paint my own?

71995974_614.jpg280197514_5847741485252781_940053864644554409_n.pngcannondale-m500-1993-45120_13.jpgDR0tuE.jpggrqtqv.jpglarge_1004322490_4_644x461_cannondale-m500-sports-outdoors.jpgmo12lh.jpgvvlYKZ.jpgYgr6oe.jpg

Pictures are all found online.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have a bunch of frames from that era but none are that color. Closest I have is a 1995 M900 that is Diamond Black Metallic with Violet Pearl Hyper-Highlight. It looks to be a darker purple when it's in good light. I assume that you have been through the paint codes. The only way I know to come close is to find a frame or fork in that color and have a paint supplier try to match it.

zarky

Yeah from everything i can find (which isnt much) I think its a 1993 only color, and only on the M500.

zarky

Also apparently came on whatever this is? I don't think this is an M500

1660022114856.png

black lightning 1987

Staff member
In some years the smallest frame size was the Killer V style, while all the larger sizes were conventional frames. I'm not sure what year that frame is but it's newer than 1993 as it has a threadless fork. I think the color is more blue than the 1993 color. I think it might be a 1995 Killer V500 in Mako Blue Metallic.

IdahoBrett

I’m new here and found myself reading older posts.

Having said that, I just bought a 93 M500 in this color. Did @zarky ever find a paint code? Or other solution?

I’ve got some nicks and scratches that would be nice to touch up. If not I’ll live with it.
IMG_0476.jpeg

JohnnyD

There are a list of dupont paint codes/formula on the vintagecannondale website itself. They are located under the restorations tab.
However, they aren't really that helpful and Cannondale was (as usual) secretive about their paint so they never offered touch up paint or really released too much info to duplicate their paint. Their idea is that they just wanted you to just buy a NEW bike if you old one got a few scratches.

IdahoBrett

Thanks @JohnnyD for pointing out the list. Unfortunately the above mentioned purple isn’t on the list. Touching up scratches was one idea. The other is that there is a pepperoni fork on ebay. It is purple, but in need of repaint/touch up. Other than a stouter look, not sure Of the benefit. Another topic probably suited for discussion elsewhere.

zarky

i know its a multi-stage paint job with a blue pearl, but beyond that, nope. I did find a powdercoat color that is very close though.

Vintage_bike_basement

This color was I believe offered in 2 different bikes but I think only in 93. It definitely has a heavy shift in color with correct lighting. It came in the m500 and also the H400. What size are you looking for?

zarky

Large size for MTB (18-21 by standard MTB sizing, i forget how cannondale does it), and 56-58cm for road. Would love to find an H400 in that color, for sure. That would be ideal.
A friend of mine on the opposite site of the country did find an M500 in my size in that color, but its missing its fork., and its also on the other side of the country.