1991 sr800 from the shed

MEENI

picked this sucker up today
Hung on the wall for 20 years at the first owners place
No dents nice patina and a bit of rust on the shimano parts
Its full shimano 600 tri and also has the shimano Stem and seatpost.
Shifters and cables are gone.
Going to clean and polish the bike and fit 600 shifters on the downtube
Also have some nice nos gumwalls And a flyte sadle lying around
Thougt i share the pictures as found with jou :)
Its in my opinion to good to paint
Any ideas on what to do to it? I,m 90%sure it,s a sr 800 but ........

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 199
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 184
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 154
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 152
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Interesting bike. You might check the serial number for build date. If you have the "version 2" serial number it will also give you the dropout spacing. In 1991, Ultegra was 7 speed and only down tube shifters were available. In 1992 it changed to 8 speed and STI was available. Your frame is painted more like 1991 than 1992. I agree about the paint, I think a good polishing is all that it needs. Can you tell us what "Ten Tusscher" means?

MEENI

Ten tuscher is a famous bicycle shop in Holland (Enschede)
He was one of the first cannondale dealers in holland.
He also sold AE and has close connections with bart brentjens (first olympic gold on mtb)
When i was young i lived accros the shop. Im now buying and restoring the bicycles i could not afford then :)

MEENI

Funny detail: the decal on the seattube is a race number form a bicycle race that took place in sweden in 1997

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It's good to know about Ten Tusscher as the shop is still selling Cannondale. Those long time dealers are getting scarce and are a good place to start looking for obsolete parts and special tools. If you visit them you might inquire about the 5/16 inch threaded cantilever studs for the old MTBs. I've checked with the few old Cannondale dealers near me but have had no luck finding any.

I remember Brentjens. It's good to see that he is still active in the sport.

I'm the same as you. I could never have afforded most of the bikes I've purchased in the past 10 years when they were new.

Always nice to have a bike which has race history. Wish I knew what races some of my bikes were in.

MEENI

Fitted a flite sadle and tube shifters .....
Going for a nos set dia compe brakelevers in my opinion better looking than the shimano,s
Going for the old skool grey cables

I will check with ten tusscher for the parts when i,m in the neighbourhood

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 131
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 128

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Looking good and very racy with the handlebar so low. Did you find some 8 speed shifters or are you going back to the original 7 speed? My experience is that 7 speed are much easier to find.

MEENI

Going back to 7, had the shifters from another resto. it will be ridable this way on non index but will change it
You asked me about the serial number.
There is no number on the bike in the obvious places, only on the droppout 2 times initials.....

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The 7 speed shifters should index fine on an 8 speed cassette, you just have to give up either the small or large cog.

Did you check the under side of both chain and seat stays for the serial number?

MEENI

yes checked, nothing there.
Wondering if it is usual that there are 2 pairs of initials om the dropout
I wil make a picture this evening

black lightning 1987

Staff member
On 1987 bikes, the initials were of the person that painted the frame. That may have only been on the custom graphics frames, and I don't think it was done for more than a year or two.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
any numbers on the chain stay or bottom of the seat stays? We know its a 91+ because of the rear drop outs.