1990 SM400

FPrue1304

So - finally some progress. This project became way larger than anticipated. As stated earlier I found a nice 3.0 frame in 18 inch which fits me way better. So I used the original 20 inch frame as a test mule and went on to restore it. Will open another thread for this.

Anyways, the fork is almost finished and now I am working on the frame, applying the decals and clearcoat. Still torn about the decals:

1. Headtube - use the original Cannondale decal from the early 90ies or the "correct" yellow decal from late 90ies, early 2000? Maybe use the original decal on the head tube and add the yellow decal on the bottom side of the down tube. Some real "Saecos" have that combined with www.cannondale.com. It is a mix of Cannondale Logos anyways, in the "Handmade in USA" decal that goes on the top of the top tube there is that other Cannondale logo which came in between.

2. Is it accurate to add the "Alcalyte" decals or am I claiming something what the 3.0 frame clearly is not?

The other decals seem a nice mix of original decals and those that would likely be added on a race ready Team Seaco frame. That is the theme of the project: "an imaginary gravel race version of the 3.0 frame in the Saeco theme" or "Taking a red Seaco race frame off-road", respectively.

Thanks!

IMG_2332.jpeg

FPrue1304

Thanks. Agreed. No Alcalyte, that came in the later 90ies. And on to clear coating! Actually the powder coating did not exactly match viper red (a bit more orange...) but it looks quite good and will be shiny with the clear coat on. I sanded it slightly with 1000 paper to make sure the decals stick.

IMG_2336.jpeg

JohnnyD

Thanks. Agreed. No Alcalyte, that came in the later 90ies. And on to clear coating! Actually the powder coating did not exactly match viper red (a bit more orange...) but it looks quite good and will be shiny with the clear coat on. I sanded it slightly with 1000 paper to make sure the decals stick.

View attachment 11360

At first glance you wouldn't know that this is a '90