1985 SR300 CC1475

rickpaulos

I bought this new. I ordered it when I worked at World of Bikes in Davenport but the shop sold and I made the mistake of working for the new owners for 4 days. 4 days too much. I knew the Harpers in Muscatine and asked them to transfer the order to them. I received it in early 1985. This was Cannondales first racing bike. They sold 3 models that year. The frames were the same on each but each came in different colors and the higher priced models had better components. I already owned a full Nuevo Record group so I bought the SR300 bike (lowest cost). My cost was just $85. I changed out many of the parts. I've ridden this bike far more than any other I've owned. I've gone through 3 crank sets and endless tires. It was my main road bike for about 25 years. Ragbrai, training, racing, other rides, etc. I keep it because it still rides well. My brother and brother in-law borrow it when they come to Iowa for Ragbrai or other visits so it still gets ridden some. The 2018 Ragbrai was it's last long ride. It has lots of scratches and extra stickers on it. I took it out for a short ride today and realized I need a shorter and higher stem to accommodate my spine. Still has the original brakes, calipers, shift levers, derailleurs and headset. I'm wondering how it currently has what appears to be the original wheels on it. I think I gave them to my girlfriend in 1986 as clincher training wheels for her Colnago Super and yet, here they are. I had Campy Tipo hubs on it most of the time with the Ambrosio dark rims that finally gave out some years ago.

Attachments

• Img_4934s.jpg
    Img_4934s.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 1985.SR300.serial.number.jpg
    1985.SR300.serial.number.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 143

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool. It looks like it has been loved. For the stem. There are different options. I know as I get older I would rather ride upright. They do make adapters to run a modern stem. Just keep the original stem to convert back to stock. Also, if you go upright. You might need new cable/housing to make the reach. Worth it...

rickpaulos

That black stem is just some cheap rather new welded steel junk. Put on at my brother's request so it would fit him better. I think I had a Shimano AX stem on there most of the decades. Those are pretty cool stems with no bolts showing. They had a cap at the top mounted at a 45 degree angle so you could fit a 6mm hex in the vertical quill and into the horizontal extension. That seat was his idea too although it's okay.