SR500

Year:
  • Bought this as bare frame and fork in the middle of 2010 as a project to work on with the kids. I believe I am the third owner. The person I bought it from said it was originally purchased as a frame + fork and built with a Campagnolo gruppo. Second owner bought it for the components and sold the frame + fork.

Serial number CC147. From looking at the 1985 catalog, the color would seem to indicate an SR500 / SR600 model (SunTour Cyclone / Superbe / New Winner, also available as a frame set).

Mix of vintage new-in-box, slightly-used vintage, and new vintage-like components, including:
    <ul>
    <li> Tange Levin headset
    <li> Shimano BR-1055 105SC SuperSLR brakes / BL-1055 levers
    <li> Shimano 7-speed SIS downtube shifters
    <li> Shimano Dura Ace 7700 53/39 175mm crank set and 7700 bottom bracket
    <li> Shimano Dura Ace 7700 rear derailleur
    <li> Shimano Dura Ace 7700 front derailleur
    <li> Velocity Fusion rims laced to Dura Ace 7400 hubs
    <li> Shimano 7-speed freewheel (14-28)
    <li> Nitto Dynamic 626 \"Crystal Fellow\" seat post
    <li> Nitto Dynamic 10 stem
    <li> Nitto 115 45cm handle bar
    <li> Prologo Kappa Pas saddle
    </ul>

The photos above include the old drive train, and were taken before I came upon the cache of mint Dura Ace 7700 drivetrain components:
    <ul>
    <li> SRAM Rival GXP 53/39 175mm crank set and bottom bracket
    <li> Shimano Ultegra 6600 rear derailleur
    <li> Shimano Ultegra 6600 front derailleur
    </ul>

Despite being a size 63, the frame is nearly as compact as my size 60 CAAD9. This bike is a lot of fun to ride, and was fun to build up keeping with the vintage look. It weights in at 21.5 lbs, which is pretty good for a 63 -- the '85 catalog lists 21.5 as the stock weight for the size 58.

Share this Item

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!