98 SuperV700 active part resto

roKWiz

Hi there, thought I would share one of my Super V rebuilds with you all.
This was a basketcase I bought off ebay for $100au as I was staying in Sydney without any of my bikes for a few weeks but decided I needed a bike.
It was basically a sound frame with the usual chips of paint off it, mainly the swingarm and around the BB where previous rider kept dropping the chain until he finally gave up on it. No wonder, the shift cables were all over the place. (Yeah the pics are a bit small.)
This is what it looked liked on ebay.

super_V700_ebay-343x250.jpg

After fixing the cable routing and riding around town for a couple of weeks, I pulled it apart on returning home. Rebuilding the headshok first and polishing out any flaws in the paint.
2014-04-15_12.19.57-457x279.jpg

The rear swingarms paint was pitted and scratched so I decided to strip polish, fitting new bearings sourced locally from my bearing supplier.

pearly_s_swingarm_strip-435x289.jpg

swingarm_paint_removed-412x287.jpg

IMG_00122-359x277.jpg

Reassembling the arm with the frame after I touched up the paint and polished out more scratches.

2014-04-15_12.19.36-600x450.jpg

Standard Fox vanilla is reinstalled with a new heavier coil over.
De anodized the original CODA cranks and polished them up, fitting new blackspire rings

2014-04-15_12.20.02-289x215.jpg
2014-04-15_13.49.17-356x260.jpg

Other components had the same de anodizing treatment, polish and clearcoat such as the front derailleur, brake levers etc.
For the time being I'll continue to use the original WTB wheelset and LX rear derailleur.

2014-04-15_13.42.20-447x322.jpg

Close to rideable with my other resto project. I've completed the built with Gripshift 8 speed shifters, CODA bars and grips, Sella saddle, cheapo seat post. I've name her "Pearly"

2014-06-06_09.01.17-603x402.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Very nice work. Glad to see someone put that kind of effort into a restoration. Feel free to message me if you need help finding a part, or help shipping something from USA.

roKWiz

Thanks mate, I'm usually on the look out for some NOS parts. Did a similar rebuild on a gen 1 Raven, had the frame sent to me from Indiana, but that's another story.

Super V raven done.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
That looks great. Nice to see the KW as well. Neighbor had a similar vintage Freightliner in the farm shop for years with the intention of restoring it. He died, his boys were less interested and the truck got sold. Hopefully to someone who will do something with it. Cabovers are out of favor here but they have their advantages.

roKWiz

Yes, they may be out of favour but I've noticed lately they are coming back in a big way for collectors in the U.S.
Hope no one minds the picture below. Pearly complete with the almost complete 73' K125. original drivetrain.
(VT903 Cummins, 15speed RR, 44 000 rockwells on Kenworth torsion bar suspension)

K125 and Pearly.jpg

roKWiz

Thanks Brian, yes I own the KW and a Ford LN8000 (Louisville, being restored as well)

Rob

Hi there, thought I would share one of my Super V rebuilds with you all.
This was a basketcase I bought off ebay for $100au as I was staying in Sydney without any of my bikes for a few weeks but decided I needed a bike.
It was basically a sound frame with the usual chips of paint off it, mainly the swingarm and around the BB where previous rider kept dropping the chain until he finally gave up on it. No wonder, the shift cables were all over the place. (Yeah the pics are a bit small.)
This is what it looked liked on ebay.

super_V700_ebay-343x250.jpg

After fixing the cable routing and riding around town for a couple of weeks, I pulled it apart on returning home. Rebuilding the headshok first and polishing out any flaws in the paint.
2014-04-15_12.19.57-457x279.jpg

The rear swingarms paint was pitted and scratched so I decided to strip polish, fitting new bearings sourced locally from my bearing supplier.

pearly_s_swingarm_strip-435x289.jpg

swingarm_paint_removed-412x287.jpg

IMG_00122-359x277.jpg

Reassembling the arm with the frame after I touched up the paint and polished out more scratches.

2014-04-15_12.19.36-600x450.jpg

Standard Fox vanilla is reinstalled with a new heavier coil over.
De anodized the original CODA cranks and polished them up, fitting new blackspire rings

2014-04-15_12.20.02-289x215.jpg
2014-04-15_13.49.17-356x260.jpg

Other components had the same de anodizing treatment, polish and clearcoat such as the front derailleur, brake levers etc.
For the time being I'll continue to use the original WTB wheelset and LX rear derailleur.

2014-04-15_13.42.20-447x322.jpg

Close to rideable with my other resto project. I've completed the built with Gripshift 8 speed shifters, CODA bars and grips, Sella saddle, cheapo seat post. I've name her "Pearly"

2014-06-06_09.01.17-603x402.jpg
Awesome Job on the swingarm. Can I ask what you used to strip the arm & the clearcoat that you used? I`ve got an Uber V that's long overdue a repaint to match its aluminium lefty.

roKWiz

Hi Rob,
Thanks so much, I used ordinary automotive paint stripper (called Diggers in Aus) on the swingarm while using wet and dry sand paper between applications. starting with 360 grade working down to a fine 800 grade wet sanding and a polish with Silvo.
I didn't clealcoat but VHT or Duplicolour automotive paints are idea. depending on what's available in the UK.

Tony

I like your truck car-port cover - nice - I am 90% done on my active 100SL
I used gloss hammerite rattle can on rear swingarm, it wont stand up to close scrutiny, but its way better looking that before. I worked on the basis that whatever I did would be better than the state it was in!

_39p2039-jpg.2627

roKWiz

Nice "V" mate.
On the swingarm polishing, thought I would post a picture of my first 95 gen 1 Super V, I've owned since new. Back then I wasn't happy with the black swingarm and wanted it to look like Missy Giove's team bike in Viper red, I later added a Super Fatty headshok which I stripped and polished to match.

against_signwriting2-450x352.jpg

petergt4

Nice "V" mate.
On the swingarm polishing, thought I would post a picture of my first 95 gen 1 Super V, I've owned since new. Back then I wasn't happy with the black swingarm and wanted it to look like Missy Giove's team bike in Viper red, I later added a Super Fatty headshok which I stripped and polished to match.

against_signwriting2-450x352.jpg

That is incredible!

JimGreen

I like your truck car-port cover - nice - I am 90% done on my active 100SL
I used gloss hammerite rattle can on rear swingarm, it wont stand up to close scrutiny, but its way better looking that before. I worked on the basis that whatever I did would be better than the state it was in!

_39p2039-jpg.2627

Looks a damned fine example to me........ Love the colours.